newbie with questions

• 3 Replies

de80

newbie with questions
« on: February 23, 2011, 20:31 »

hi all, i have just taken on a new allotment. the plot has had weeds kept on top of but there is a few so i was just going to pull them out be hand.
the soil is very sticky clay soil?? it has been raining alot here they week but i want to get start with it or am i best to wait?
what sort of stuff grows well on clay soil?
what do i do to improve it?
i wanted to grow thing like potatoes, bean, peas, carrot, salad and some cabbage will those be ok?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: newbie with questions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 22:16 »

the soil is very sticky clay soil?? it has been raining alot here they week but i want to get start with it or am i best to wait?

If the soil is squelchy under foot then best to stand on a board (e.g. a scaffolding board), otherwise you will compress the soil and squeeze some of the structure out of it. But pulling the weeds up will help, for sure :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:32 »
My plot is clay as well de80. I stay off the soil when it is wet as it makes matters worse not better.  Frustrating I know, but it really needs to dry off a bit to make digging worthwhile.

I make compost like crazy and dig it in.  You need bulky organic matter like compost or composted farmyard manure to improve soil structure, but the good news is that clay is great to grow in once you get that compost in and will retain the nutrients of any fertiliser you add really well  :D

Crops I grow that seem to thrive on clay are soft fruit, shallots, onions, leeks, potatoes, beetroot, chard, courgettes and squashes, tomatoes, sweetcorn, beans and salads.  I don't grow cabbage but plenty of plot holders round me do.  Carrots may be the only problem as they like free draining lighter soil and they don't do well for me on the plot - maybe you could make a raised bed for these.

de80

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 08:56 »
thank you for your replies they were a great help

xx
Help a Newbie questions please

Started by Seefoodandeatit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2018, 11:18
by sunshineband
xx
Very newbie questions!

Started by Elswhere on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 20:10
by Elswhere
xx
More newbie questions

Started by pulse on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 14:44
by cawdor2001
xx
A few Newbie questions...

Started by AndyP on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 23:46
by AndyP

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 39 queries.