length of time a Broody will sit

• 8 Replies

blodwen

length of time a Broody will sit
« on: May 01, 2010, 17:15 »
Another quick question, (im obviously a chicken keeping newbie! ) if the eggs my other  broodies are sitting on turn out not to be fertile how long will they keep sitting before they give up? my plan is to remove these eggs(they have been there for 30 days) and replace them with others from a fertile pair of bantams if they will continue to sit on them until they hatch. Would they sit that long? 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: length of time a Broody will sit
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 17:45 »
if she has been sitting on them for 30 days then unless they are duck or goose eggs then I would say they are infertile and you are lucky that they didn't explode. Hens eggs generally hatch around day 21 (bantams can be day 19 hatching). Why have you left her on them for 30 days? Where did you get them from? Are they your own? in which case it would appear that your cockerel may not be doing his bit, either that or they have died in their shells  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

blodwen

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 17:57 »
they are our own and yes i suspect our cockerel may be a little past his sell by date now!  ??? its only yesterday i realised she has been on them as long as she has, i didnt want to lift her off and remove eggs as if i can put some more fertile eggs under her i would like to do that. Its the first time this hen has gone broody as shes quite a young hen. I have been given some more fertile eggs to go under her which i will collect tomorrow, just hope she will sit on them for the 19 - 21 days. Our other broody has hatched her eggs today, 21 days to the day we put the eggs under her (a different cockerel!!)

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 18:03 »
Has this hen been sitting for 30 days? If so, I wouldn't have thought she should sit for another 3 weeks.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 18:11 »
you will have to watch her though as hens often lose condition and weight whilst sitting (owing to them being reluctant to get off the eggs) sitting for another 3 weeks may mean that she will become too weak  :(

goodegg

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 19:10 »
i would check her to make sure shes not lost to much weight she may not sit another lot i wouldnt risk it you may end up losing the hen and the eggs shes sitting on usually they push out the eggs when they are no good mine did .

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 20:23 »
She may sit long enough to hatch a fresh load but could stop being broody just as they're hatching. I think that's what happened to mine and they attacked the chicks, Im having to rear them myself now. You might be better waiting until she, or one of the others,  become broody again so long as it's not too late in the year.

blodwen

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 23:22 »
She certainly hasnt lost weight, shes first in the queue for breakfast and tea, nothing keeps her from her food! She is a very tame chook and a people person.But she does spend the rest of the day sitting. Maybe its because its her first time going broody that has led to her sitting this long, im not sure.   ???

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 04:00 »
I would try to break her boodiness now as it's likely she won't go another 3 weeks. 
HF
Truth through science.

xx
Moult length of time

Started by Raven81 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 11:23
by Raven81
xx
Point of lay, is this normal - length of time to lay an egg ?

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 17:16
by anitaws
xx
First time Broody ( HELP )

Started by vickyb30 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 22:48
by TeaPots
xx
My 1st time with a broody, so all new to me

Started by becksi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 00:00
by becksi

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 39 queries.