chillis

• 7 Replies

lightyears

chillis
« on: September 27, 2008, 20:10 »
im getting my pollytunnel greenhouse in the next few weeks and am interested in growing chilli's, particulary the hot ones for asian type foods. Ive bought a couple of plug plants off ebay and wonderd how well these are to maintains/grow etc and can someone provide any more info on this type of growing

Ice

• muck spreader
chillis
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 20:15 »
I've had no success with my chilies for the past two years.  They grow well but have no heat at all.  I was told on here that you have to treat them mean for tham to develop any heat.
Cheese makes everything better.

breathecosse

chillis
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 21:31 »
Quote from: "Ice"
I've had no success with my chilies for the past two years.  They grow well but have no heat at all.  I was told on here that you have to treat them mean for tham to develop any heat.

They like to be neglected a bit Ice. Let them dry out a fair bit the give them a good drink.

Ice

• muck spreader
chillis
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 21:39 »
I'll do that next year.  Unfortunately, this year I have been reliant on outside help in the garden.

So good health to you too Ray.

agapanthus

Re: chillis
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 21:48 »
Quote from: "lightyears"
im getting my pollytunnel greenhouse in the next few weeks and am interested in growing chilli's, particulary the hot ones for asian type foods. Ive bought a couple of plug plants off ebay and wonderd how well these are to maintains/grow etc and can someone provide any more info on this type of growing

They're really not that difficult to grow.Bring it inside before the frosts strike. The only thing to remember is that they require feeding weekly from about march. I'm not sure you'll get too much growth from the plantplug this year but hopefully it will mature enough to bear fruit next year! :)

Lardman

Re: chillis
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 22:59 »
Quote from: "lightyears"
... am interested in growing chilli's, particulary the hot ones for asian type foods.

Go on give us a clue... which ones   :D

Not sure Id have bought plugs this time of year. You'll have to put them somewhere frost free and with plenty of light otherwise you'll end up with 6ft tall twigs as they'll go leggy looking for light.  Worth a try as long as the plugs weren't too expensive.

lightyears

chillis
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 23:03 »
my greenhouse/pollytunnel is frost free and heated? would that be ok

agapanthus

chillis
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 09:43 »
That should be fine Light! Although with reduction in light they could still go a bit leggy! :)

xx
Chillis - There not hot ???

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 13:08
by arugula
xx
What to do with my chillis

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 08:29
by Sadgit
xx
Big Chillis

Started by backpain on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 16:40
by backpain
xx
Peppers or chillis

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2009, 10:18
by abraidwood

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 37 queries.