Poultry industry

• 8 Replies

Spana

Poultry industry
« on: October 14, 2010, 09:55 »
Was just thinking this morning after culling 8 cockerels how the poultry industry go about gutting. 

I've seen film of stunning, slaughter, plucking and packing but never the birds being drawn.  It must be done by machine but even a google search doesn't bring much up.

Anyone know.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Poultry industry
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 11:29 »
Imagine a big vacuum cleaner!  Brian said they are still hanging on a line, so the machine must come from above and it sucks it all out!  :blink:

Just found this one!

http://www.slaughtermachinery.com/evisceration-28-1.html
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:33 by GrannieAnnie »

Spana

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 13:24 »
Thanks for that GrannieAnnie altho i think it makes scarey reading :wacko:

We thought it must be a suction sort of thing.

My cockerels are scrawny but think I'll stick with them :wub:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 14:24 »
I have a book with a picture of one which called it an "eviscerator!" which sounded very dramatic!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 14:42 »
That link was interesting but pretty gross.  I stopped reading it before I got to the point where I'd have to stop eating chicken.

Are there still commercial suppliers of chicken that do it in a less mechanical way?  I don't suppose it makes a difference I'm just curious.

Spana

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 14:53 »
I didn't like the sound of this bit, and i quote from the link

Polyphosphate injection:     

When polyphosphates are used, they are injected under pressure by guns with two hollow perforated needles. The solution is injected into        the breast and sometimes also into the leg muscles.Up to 5% of the body weight of this permitted additive solution may be injected

As i said, i'll stick with my scrawny lot :wub:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 23:08 »
I don't know off any people now who process the traditional way commercially!

It's just not economically viable.  If you search the internet before Christmas when people are advertising chickens and turkeys for the festive season.  Almost all of them are commercially processed.  When I was looking for ideas of what to charge for ours, I found one website that was selling chickens oven ready weighing only 2 - 2.9kgs for £28 plus £25 P&P!  JUST FOR ONE CHICKEN!  Just imagine what they'd charge for a hand reared traditionally processed chicken!

When we lived in Essex, Brian had a friend called Don who had one of the last hand killed, hand plucked and gutted turkey farms in England.  Brian used to help with the plucking sometimes.  His turkeys were expensive, even though they were all grown indoors.  they never saw daylight!

And as to the polyphosphates Spana, yes, they are injected into the birds I think to either stop the water that is also injected into them from ooozing out or its a preservative.  I'm not sure, but people are amazed when we tell them that a commercially reared and processed chicken is not just chicken!

Which is why I like people to have a taste of ours to see the difference!  We gave a chicken to a nice lady today who told me she doesn't like the leg meat.  But she has promised to try one of our legs!!!!    :D :D

Mind you, around here they'd rather pass our house to get to Tesco and buy their cheap stuff rather than pull into our drive and pay £3 a kg!

I don't care, any leftover and Brian and I and our family and friends eat them!!!   :lol: :lol:

and this is not an advert, but commercially raised meat is something that I am passionate about!  I passionately hate the way people are continually duped by the supermarkets who try to tell us "We are here for you the customer!"  Bull poops, they are here for their shareholders!  :lol: :lol:

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 23:32 »
When I was looking for ideas of what to charge for ours, I found one website that was selling chickens oven ready weighing only 2 - 2.9kgs for £28 plus £25 P&P!  JUST FOR ONE CHICKEN!

For that price they would have to send someone to cook it, serve it and wash up.

I don't know if you've seen that tv show where the man goes about trying to re-create recipes using the same quality (or lack thereof) as some of the commercial food producers, it's pretty disgusting.  It showed how protein/water was injected into chicken to bulk it out.  Also what goes into mass produced pies and sausages.  It was quite off-putting.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 00:28 »
Oh yes Michellela, seen them all.  I've also worked in the food trade of some kind or another for many years apart from my 25 year stint as a secretary, and my Brian has worked in butchers when he was still at school, so we know all about what they expect people to pay good money to eat!   :( :(

We don't buy any ready meals, as apart from anything else I had a friend who worked in the ready meal packing plant with all the immigrants and some of their personal habits leave much to be desired!  :(

If I occasionally make sausages, burgers or chicken nuggets, its all our own chicken and turkey!  So I know what goes into my food!

xx
Poultry Course

Started by kegs on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 19:20
by kegs
xx
Poultry Show

Started by Chrysalis on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 07:54
by arugula
xx
Poultry show

Started by trinamc on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 08:41
by trinamc
xx
poultry auctions

Started by finleyfreyaseth on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2013, 14:11
by finleyfreyaseth

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 39 queries.