Time in the garden...at last

• 7 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Time in the garden...at last
« on: January 16, 2011, 17:06 »
Had a nice day pottering in house and garden today, despite drizzle, but no wind, lovely. Had the door open and the dogs were also pottering, pup kept bringing me gladdie corms, bless her! No heating on. planted my garlic at last, cleared up some old stalks and herbs.

And I feel so much better. Yes, I know it's only January, but this winter has been so long already, days like this make things more bearable. Anyway, I need some cold weather now for the garlic. :)

Springlands

Re: Time in the garden...at last
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 17:22 »
Tosca that sounds like a lovely day - according to the Beeb you will get your cold weather by the end of this week. They even mentioned that S*** word. Today was just like a spring day - had a lovely walk without having to wrap up too warm.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 17:44 »
I'm with you there Tosca  :D

I had my first day in the garden and greenhouse yesterday.  Repotted, root and top pruned Bonsai trees, dragged my mint plant out of its pot and cut off a chunk and repotted, planted garlic & shallots and divided and replanted my houseleek/alpine pots.

Even took some houseplants out, split and repotted them and they are now on the bathroom windowsill recovering  :D

Got loads of clearing up to do yet but saw my snowdrops and cyclamen are just about to bloom and as far as I am concerned, that's the start of the new season  ;)  :lol:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 17:45 »
We were moving some shrubs in preparation of a bit of ground for a good number of potatoes. :) The wind was cold round your ears, but when the sun came out, it was heartening to say the least. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:30 »
I spent a total of over 5 hours in the garden on Saturday.

Gave my overgrown mature apple tree a radical hair cut... unfortunately will need a longer ladder and some assistance to do the top branches... though that may wait until next year as I've been pretty severe with the bottom branches!

I also cut back all of my currant canes in the hopes of renovating them into some semblance of order... Completely extinguished the chance of getting any currants this year, but hopefully next year...

I also spent ages shredding all of the cane trimmings, and using them as mulch for a border.  It was so addicitve I'm eying up all of my (rather overgrown) boundry plants to see how much I can hack them back lol!

tallulah

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:16 »
Yes, I too managed some time in the garden - it was so therapeutic - I think the mild temperature helped, though it was very, very soggy!  I pottered in the greenhouse, and planted up 9 rooted cuttings from my favourite geranium of last year - a lovely pinky salmon, which I bought at a roadside stall for £1.00!  What a bargain!  Some are in flower too!

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 20:38 »
I can only sit here in envy as I watch the blizzard outside raging and dumping 6" of snow so far and more coming  :( Monday is forecast  to hit -18C during the day  :( :(

I'll probably just seed my onions and leeks and keep dreaming of warmth.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 14:54 »
I can only sit here in envy as I watch the blizzard outside raging and dumping 6" of snow so far and more coming  :( Monday is forecast  to hit -18C during the day  :( :(

I'll probably just seed my onions and leeks and keep dreaming of warmth.

Never mind, it's gone dull and cold and damp now. Really bonechilling when it's so damp. :(

xx
My Garden

Started by Willow_Warren on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2014, 15:05
by grinling
xx
Dry Garden

Started by catllar on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post November 04, 2010, 12:55
by catllar
xx
My garden

Started by RobbieG83 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 21:50
by Spana
xx
A sad garden Day

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post August 12, 2022, 12:36
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.