liquid calcium

• 3 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
liquid calcium
« on: October 12, 2009, 19:51 »
Hello.
One of my ex-bats has laid soft eggs for the last 7 weeks.
(they are on ex bats pellets with oyster shell and they all eat the same yet she is the only one with this problem...)

I am now administering 2ml of liquid calcium/vitamin D every day and have done so for 10 days.

So far no improvement and still soft eggs a few times each week (no hard shelled ones at all).

How long should I continue with the liquid calcium?
What else can I do if this doesn't work?

Kate and her Ducks

Re: liquid calcium
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 21:27 »
I had a duck that always laid soft shelled eggs. Don't think I ever got a proper one of her but that sounds unlikely if she is an ex-Batt as would have theought she would have been culled if she never layed. Have you ever had hard shelled eggs from her? Sometimes their bony supplies of calcium are so depleted it takes ages for them to get back to normal so would persist as it sounds like you are doing all you can. If she is not in any distress (softies can take a lot out of them) I would just continue what you are doing and let her get on with things in her own time.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 20:17 »
Hi...
Thanks for the advice - I'm just so worried she could get egg peritonitus if she continues with the softies and some gets stuck inside so am keen to get her sorted asap - am also aware I sholdnt be giving the calcium too lon as it's not good for them.
She definitely has off days and isnt as perky as she once was.

She has laid a couple of hard shelled eggs but the tops were soft. Since then they have become softer and softer intil it's just a membrane now...the other day I found her walking around with the egg albumen training out of her and I had to pull the rest out myself!!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 08:45 »
Of my four hens, one lays eggs with a thin shell ... and only one. So I can only assume it's her not the feed that's at fault?
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

question
Calcium

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 23:58
by ehs284
question
Calcium tabs

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2009, 11:06
by Flowerpower136
xx
Extra calcium

Started by treecol on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 07:22
by treecol
xx
Calcium Supplement

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 09:54
by Hawkins

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 35 queries.