building a coop

• 7 Replies

Bailz

• Experienced Member
building a coop
« on: May 26, 2011, 21:42 »
hi i'm going to try to build a new coop from scratch i am a total DIY novice any tips and or advice grateful cheers neil
Cheers Bailz

orchardlady

Re: building a coop
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 21:56 »
I'm afraid I'm no carpenter and not particulally handy but there are a few pointers I can offer. Do not use felt on the coop as it's the most perfect breeding place for red mite and if you get them you will not be able to get rid of them unless you strip the felt off. Use Onduline or similar. It looks like black or racing green corrugated sheets.

Do not use chip board (or that board that looks like large pieces of sliced wood all compacted together) as again it is a perfect home for red mites and you cannot give it a good scrub when cleaning.

Allow plenty of access to the house and nest boxes. This will help a great deal when you want to handle a hen and when cleaning out.

Allow for ventilation, preferably above the highest/perch/head height. If you use Onduline or similar it will give plenty of ventilation.

Build you house to a height where you don't need to scrabble about on your knees to gain access. Keeping it off the ground will help the house stay warm and dry and offer your birds a little shelter from the elements and stop rodents making their home under it.

If your house will be on legs put the legs on one old brick each to help water drain away and help reduce rotting due to damp in the winter.

Hope some of these ideas help.

Orchardlady

down the lane

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 21:12 »
I've just finished mine and getting my chickens in the morning (at Last). i enjoyed building the Coop and think i've done a good job but must admit that i could have bought one much cheaper than mine cost. Read the forum and take lots of advice and go to poultry fairs and check out gumtree. If I had to do it again I would have bought one and got on with the chickens. Good luck with whatever you do.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:40 »
You might find this post helpful, it is quite long but covers most of the issues raised in pros and cons of design.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=69975.0
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 15:51 »
i built mine using half inch thick plywood to cut down on the crack that redmite can hide in, but then used shiplap on the outside to make it look like a traditional construction.

rachelr

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 21:16 »
I was wondering if you could line the coop with plastic sheeting to make it as red mite free as possible

binghamd

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 20:59 »
Plastic sheeting would probably cause condensation problems unless really good ventilation.

rachelr

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:13 »
so what about the triple glazed stuff could you put that on the inside?

xx
Help building my first coop

Started by mozza15 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 12:47
by mozza15
xx
HELP! - building a coop & run

Started by nervous newbie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 07:31
by uba
xx
Coop building

Started by asd1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 29, 2011, 20:29
by nerdle
xx
Few more questions on building coop

Started by gracie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 19:52
by ehs284

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 36 queries.