Poorly chuck, please help

• 9 Replies

Poorly chuck, please help
« on: February 07, 2011, 12:21 »
Hi
I have 6 chickens and one is very il at the moment.  She has been hunching down for about a week but still has a nice red comb and no feather problems.  Last night she had to be lifted off the floor onto the perch and this morning she is still there huddled with her face to the wall.  we have been giving her antibios but I ntoiced this morning that she also unsteady on her feet, wobbles over if you stand her up.  Does anyone ahve any ideas?  our local vet is pretty clueless when it comes to poultry....

Casey76

Re: Poorly chuck, please help
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:29 »
Oh dear, that doesn't sound too good.

OK, lets have a bit more information :)

How old is she, and what breed of chicken is she.
Do you know if she had layed an egg in the past week?
Is she still eating and drinking?
What do her poohs look like?
Does she have a temperature (have a feel underneath a wing, and compare to a non-cisk chook)
Does she have a dirty vent?
Does her vent look dry or moist?

What type of anitibiotics have you been giving her, and were they prescribed by a vet (for her or another hen?)

In the meantime, I would bring her inside the house; put her in a card board box with some shavings or other bedding in the bottom, and keep her dark and warm for a couple of hours while you answer the questions :)

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:34 »
she is a standard brown rescue hen,  we have had her for nearly three years.  I tought perhaps she was egg bound, her rear end is mucky.  The anitbios were prescirbed by vet for another chicken that died at the end of last year.  We had to give them to the whole flock.  I will bring her in and have a look and see if there is any sign of a stuck egg and take it form there.  May not be easy with an 18mth old to 'help'!

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 12:57 »
Good Luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 13:03 »
OK, if you've had her for nearly 3 years, then she will be about 4, 4.5 years ofl which is a GREAT age for a rescue hen.

As she has a mucky back end, I would be concerned about internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis.

When you bring her in, have a feel of her abdomen.  Normally it would feel firm and tight, and you would easily be able to discern the keel (breast) bone and the pelvic bones.  With internal laying and EYP her abdomen will feel soft, flaccid and squidy.  Quite oedematous and "full".  It would be remarkably different than a non-sick chook.

If it feel this way then she will need to go to the vet, as the dirty vent indicates the peritonitis may be infected, and whe will need an injection of antibiotics - though I must warn you that infected EYP has a dismal prognosis, especially in such an elderly hen.

Good luck :)

Beakybird

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 13:59 »
I would suggest you find a proper avian vet rather than a general vet (who mainly deal with cats and dogs) as very little of a vet's training is based on birds. I have rescued hens too and was surprised to find that hens are classed as 'exotics' - it was only when I had a poorly hen that I became aware of the lack of knowledge a general vet has. In retrospect I feel I should have found an avian or exotics vet prior to needing one.

As has already been suggested, bring her in where she can be quiet and warm. Make sure she doesn't get dehydrated. If she isn't drinking give her 5ml of lukewarm water with electrolytes directly into her mouth (I use Dioralyte natural ie unflavoured) every hour until bedtime. Use a plastic syringe and administer slowly as you don't want her to choke.

Please get her some proper help.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 14:17 by Beakybird »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 14:12 »
take a look at this thread - there may be a vet local to you that is good with poultry

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26140.0
Staffies are softer than you think.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 16:12 »
Thank all, I have brought her in and checked out her rear quarters, was mortified to find mites (felt like when the kids got it a school!!!).  Think this may only be half the problem though.  treated her and gave her some more anti bios and water as I am not sure if she is drinking.  Have cleaned out the hut and dusted it for the others too.  Can't feel anything egg like.  Would this be a normal reaction to mites or do you think there is an underlying problem?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 16:49 »
what sort of mites - colour etc?
I would treat with something stronger than powder such as frontline or ivermectin.

Beakybird

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 18:25 »
I haven't got any experience regarding mites, but I did read about hens with a severe red mite problem in a poultry magazine and it said that they affect older birds more severely.

Birds can die from mite infestations, so it could be the total problem. However, any animal that is poorly is more susceptible to mite/lice infestations as they are run down in general.

The other birds will need to be checked for mites also (I'd treat them even if you cannot see any mites). They suggest the coop should be cleaned and soaked with anti-mite treatment every three to four days for 'at least a few weeks' to break the mite's breeding cycle.

xx
Poorly chuck...I think!!??

Started by Chuckiemum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 19:54
by Chuckiemum
xx
Help - Poorly chuck

Started by Paddywack on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 10:12
by slowef
xx
Poorly chuck

Started by andymac on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 21:25
by andymac
sad
poorly chuck

Started by Radman on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 11:01
by Casey76

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 35 queries.