vermin

• 16 Replies

vichope74

vermin
« on: November 18, 2009, 15:47 »
How do you stop your chicken house attracting mice/rats.  Does feed get lifted at the end of the day or does it get left in if not finished?  I don't have any chickens yet - am just getting all the info .  I have read you normally feed twice a day with pellets etc but what happens overnight.  Do they just have water left in the house with them?

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
Re: vermin
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 15:49 »
Not twice a day ... but unlimited access during the day. You can remove both feed and water at night once they have roosted as they won't eat or drink again until morning.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

scrappydoo

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 16:32 »
Hi
  Suspend the feeders above the ground so that at night if vermin should get into the run they cannot get to the feed. I leave both water & food out of the coop over night.

Best Regards

Steve
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 11:20 »
I've had a rat and mouse in my coop but I remove food overnight as it's too expensive to feed to vermin plus it can get damp

the rat man has been and he advised scattering a small amount of food on the ground in their run for them to scrat up, and not to give them any more til it had gone.  Ratty has not been seen since and I'm taking great care. Not feeding birds either as there's nothing worse than rats and I want shut of them

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 12:12 »
Unfortunately I have to live with rats on my plot, but I keep them under control with a regular poisoning regime. What was a real problem is now just another part of keeping chooks.
wish I was a cat

Spana

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 12:38 »
I keep all feed troughs in the poultry houses at all times.  The hens free range all day and come and go as they please eating when they want.  Once the houses are shut up at night no food is about for rats or mice.  Mind you I still get the odd rat and mouse  but with a Jack Russell and 3cats they're not here for long. :)

If you need a live catch trap this is a really good design

all caught together.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:41 by Spana »

Rubellite

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 18:24 »
That's good and sturdy looking, Spana. Where did it come from?
I've bought one from our local CWG stores and in the struggle to get it out of the box, the darn thing has broken already  :(

Spana

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 19:50 »
That's good and sturdy looking, Spana. Where did it come from?
:(

It was OH granddads, so its over 50 years old.  I have seen similar designs online but cant remember where, sorry

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 19:53 »
you could use a " mink trap " one at a time but pretty good .  I use them to trap grey squigs and they are good

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 11:24 »
blooming rats! They seem to be getting bigger as well  >:(

I no longer have a Jack Russell  :(  I have chickens now though  :D

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 23:59 »
i have a chain suspended from the roof of the run, and keep the feeders hanging about 6" off the ground through the day, so the girlies have access all day, it keeps the feed clean and stops the choox from being able to scratch it all over the place. Every night I just hook the chain up higher.

My ratman (a fellow chook keeper :D) recommends to never have food or feeders inside/ or close-by the actual coops.  Even in daytime the rats will go inside the coops if they find food, leaving their trail of bacteria and possible disease!  NB always have your coop up on legs. preferably a min. of 8" off the ground, as a low coop is ideal nesting area for rats.

My ratman comes once a month (in exchange for chix or eggs etc) checks and refills my bait boxes, which he provided and distributed carefully around my land.
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

Flowerpower136

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 10:21 »
Our coop is well off the ground and feeders suspended underneath.
I don't put any food in the coop, and take the feeders in every night.  We'd be overrun with rats if I didn't. 

I use Mk4Fenn traps to keep the population down, and house them for safety in DFT boxes - see domestic wildfowl trust website for traps/boxes.

We do have mice, but as long as they are not in the coup, I don't mind them.

goosebusters75

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 20:10 »
I have heard it say that you are never more than 10ft from a rat in Britian (the life of grime tv show). You need to be clean thats all, your hens should have food in feeders, not thrown on the ground for them. The food may get wet/moudy etc and cause problems for your birds. You should remove any food from the run overnight, and sweep up any spilt food. Chickens dont bring rats, food bring rats, if there is litter in the streets, in gardens the rats will come looking for food, if they find food, they will come back!
Dont worry about mice, the chickens will deal with the mice!

Julesanne

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 20:25 »
I have heard it say that you are never more than 10ft from a rat in Britian (the life of grime tv show). You need to be clean thats all, your hens should have food in feeders, not thrown on the ground for them. The food may get wet/moudy etc and cause problems for your birds. You should remove any food from the run overnight, and sweep up any spilt food. Chickens dont bring rats, food bring rats, if there is litter in the streets, in gardens the rats will come looking for food, if they find food, they will come back!
Dont worry about mice, the chickens will deal with the mice!

??? What will the chickens do with a mouse? will they acually be able to catch one? the mouse in my garden is blooming fast, i'm not sure my hens are THAT fast.

goosebusters75

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 21:00 »
the chickens will eat the mice, trust me, the chickens will be faster than the mice!
Not only do they catch them and eat them, but they swallow them whole, thats if the others dont pay tug of war with them. Im sure my chickens are not the only ones who eat mice, small birds (they had a robin the other day) and frogs! Frogs are a favourite :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 21:03 by goosebusters75 »

xx
Got rats or other vermin?

Started by BruceA on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 01, 2018, 13:24
by BruceA
xx
Vermin Control and advice

Started by F1schuey on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 20:10
by peter rooster
xx
Rats, vermin, but they are just a pest

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

43 Replies
Last post April 02, 2015, 23:29
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 36 queries.