my lonely little banti

• 7 Replies

lucylou

• Experienced Member
my lonely little banti
« on: July 01, 2009, 16:50 »
hi there, after my little maran was put to sleep on sunday my remaining little rhode banti is by herself and on antibiotics hoping she will not develop the illness that killed her friend.  I am really hoping that she is not too stressed by being alone as i cannot get her a new friend until the quarantene period is up - approx 2 weeks.  She does seem okay at the moment but has laid her last 2 eggs away from nestbox, one on floor of coop and one on dirt in her run.  How do i encourage her to lay back in the nest box - i have a rubber egg but this has not helped. do u think that it is because she is so disturbed by being alone? i am so sorry for her as it is so against their nature to be by themselves.

Roughlee Handled

Re: my lonely little banti
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 21:02 »
What is wrong with her?  What has she caught?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 22:48 »
Hello Roughlee handled! - the vet wasnt sure what she had but she had an infection ina nad around her eye which made her face swell and her eye closed up, she was put on antibiotic (terracyclin) but wnet downhill very fast and was suffering, and sadly i made the decision to have her put to sleep.  As we dont know what the infection was, my remaining little banti may be at risk of developing it too so is presently on the same antibiotic hoping it will stop anything in its tracks.  So far she appears normal, apart from the eggs now being laid away from nestbox. i know there arent any mites because we were so anxious about the one that died that we checked everything. im just worried that it may be the stress of being alone thata has affected her in this way?

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 22:56 »
Hi lucylou,
I once checked for mites and thought there was none, but the chickens where showing signs, I checked again a week later and found loads in one corner, I would check again if I where you.

Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 23:19 »
yes i will check agin michelle - just incase.  i know there seems to be a lot of mite infestations at the moment - do they like it really hot and humid?

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 00:18 »
yes i will check agin michelle - just incase.  i know there seems to be a lot of mite infestations at the moment - do they like it really hot and humid?

Yes mites love the heat, scrape out every corner, I was convinced the first time I checked but couldn't find any, the second time I checked  there was a great big pile of them in one corner, all gone now and happy laying chickens  :)

Michelle

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 09:06 »
Personnely I do not think a mites can cause an eye infection.  I would scrub down the coop with jeyes fluid and then go looking for a suitable couple of bantams.

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 09:44 »
Sounds a little like myco, swollen eyes/face rapid mortality.

question
Welsummer Banti's

Started by BillyMc on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 28, 2009, 17:59
by chickenlady
xx
Lonely Hen

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 13:54
by nerdle
sad
lonely hen

Started by snowy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:42
by andreadon
xx
Lonely Hen

Started by yorkylover on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 08:24
by joyfull

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 39 queries.