Going home

• 7 Replies

MKD

Going home
« on: October 19, 2016, 21:50 »
Hi all nearly finished the new much bigger coop and run. We are going to keep 12 hens in total and although the new run is a fair size we also want them to be able to roam the garden.
How and when do you let them out for the 1st time??? And how do you train them to go back home when it's getting dark??  They will be clipped and the garden is surrounded by large high fences. Thanks for and advice max

Flowerpower136

Re: Going home
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 22:11 »
I've only recently been able to let our ladies out, and even now they have to be under supervision. We have lots of foxes and they'd be too vulnerable left on their own. Luckily for the girls I'm retired and spend a lot of time in the garden.  Anytime I'm out there, they are too.
I've taught ours to recognise a green Tupperware box which is where I keep a supply of mealworms. It's kept in the run so I can grab it when needed. They now recognise the box, so all I have to do is wave it in the air and yell 'chickens', and they all come running!   :lol:  We then all walk into the run together.
Prior to that, getting them back in was a bit of a rodeo. Not good. So patience and training are def worth the effort.
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Beekissed

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 16:16 »
I'd keep them penned at least a week before turning out.  Then on days I intend to let them out, I'd not feed them any feed until evening...this will encourage better foraging.  When you feed in the evening, they will come. 

When feeding in the evening only, there isn't any time of the day I can't walk out there and go to the coop that they won't follow me, so if it's helpful for you to be able to pen them up any time you please, feeding once a day in the evening is a cool way to do it. 

I never pen mine up, but if I ever needed to do so, it's incredibly easy.  No special treats or training needed. 

MKD

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 23:01 »
I've only recently been able to let our ladies out, and even now they have to be under supervision. We have lots of foxes and they'd be too vulnerable left on their own. Luckily for the girls I'm retired and spend a lot of time in the garden.  Anytime I'm out there, they are too.
I've taught ours to recognise a green Tupperware box which is where I keep a supply of mealworms. It's kept in the run so I can grab it when needed. They now recognise the box, so all I have to do is wave it in the air and yell 'chickens', and they all come running!   :lol:  We then all walk into the run together.
Prior to that, getting them back in was a bit of a rodeo. Not good. So patience and training are def worth the effort.
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
Thanks for the info flowerpot know what you mean about foxes we back onto the South Downs and the place is alive with them my dog absolutely hates foxes and any fox tries its luck with him in the garden will never get the chance to kill another chicken thankfully he's great will other animals just hates foxes
The hens will only be in the garden when we are

MKD

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 23:03 »
I'd keep them penned at least a week before turning out.  Then on days I intend to let them out, I'd not feed them any feed until evening...this will encourage better foraging.  When you feed in the evening, they will come. 

When feeding in the evening only, there isn't any time of the day I can't walk out there and go to the coop that they won't follow me, so if it's helpful for you to be able to pen them up any time you please, feeding once a day in the evening is a cool way to do it. 

I never pen mine up, but if I ever needed to do so, it's incredibly easy.  No special treats or training needed.
Thanks beekissed will take your info on board

grinling

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 23:43 »
Mine go to bed before it is dark...neighbour didn't believe me until he looked after them.

I have mixed corn in a plastic container..when shook the chickens follow if they haven't already spotted me.  This means I can throw corn through  the open run door and they will go in, but also when they have gone next door I can get them to follow me home.

Beekissed

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 01:32 »
 ;)  Doesn't your neighbor realize that ALL chickens go to the roost before dark?   Every chicken I've ever had in 40 yrs hit the roosts before dark or they wouldn't be able to see to do so...they have pretty poor night vision. 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 08:52 »
I turned my big coop round in the run the other week and had one that couldn't find her way to bed.  She is a particularly dumb chicken (Patsy of the Patsy and Eddie duo), but even so  ::)

A couple of times of being grabbed and shoved in through the coop door and she decided to get in under her own steam  :lol:

xx
Hen Needs a Home

Started by rebecca.smiles on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 22:46
by henamoured
xx
new home

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 22:07
by min200
xx
Home from home

Started by Cleo on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 15, 2008, 20:03
by Roughlee Handled
question
Home- made ACV

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 31, 2009, 11:31
by ehs284

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 33 queries.