Lonely Hen

• 3 Replies

yorkylover

Lonely Hen
« on: May 01, 2013, 23:57 »
I used to have 3 hens which were 3 years old.  I lost one in her sleep a few months ago, she just went down quickley stopped eating was very lethargic, I have now lost another the same way.  I now have one lonely hen left.

I do not want to get any more, but she seems quite lonely.  She would always follow the others around and now she looks sad.  I'm worried about giving her away incase other hens pick on her, I dont know what to do for the best.

Any advice would be appreciated please.
 :( :( :(
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:17 by ANHBUC »

Sassy

Re: Lonely Hen
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:28 »
Ideally she does need to be with other chickens. If you don't wish to have any more could you find someone with chooks who would be very sympathetic and spend time introducing her to a new flock slowly and with care? :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:15 by ANHBUC »
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 10:15 »
They are flock birds but having said that one of our members nerdle had one hen on its own and it was really happy.  It was dumped on her so possibly it was grateful for a loving home.   :unsure:

If you spend plenty of time with the hen and find things to keep it busy you might find that it will adjust.  If she doesn't have long left she might be better in the home she is used to, unless you find a sympathetic person as Sassy said. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:16 by ANHBUC »
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 08:24 »
try putting a mirror in her run so that she can see another chicken, this can help stop her feeling all alone. If you do decide to re-home her I would choose somewhere that has lots of space such as a free range situation so she can escape from any potential bullying and also make sure the new owner puts her in the coop at night when the others are sleepy. I have introduced lone hens without any problems by doing this.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Lonely Hen

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 13:54
by nerdle
sad
lonely hen

Started by snowy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:42
by andreadon
xx
Lonely or poorly?

Started by Angela B on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2012, 08:20
by Sassy
xx
Can a hen be lonely in a crowd?

Started by HairyBear on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 13:42
by flangey

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 36 queries.