Strimmer fuel line entry into tank.

• 5 Replies

Lardman

Strimmer fuel line entry into tank.
« on: March 13, 2014, 17:33 »
Pulled my ryobi strimmer <spit> out of the shed today expecting to fight with it for a couple of hours to get it started, normally the case especially as the petrol is now 3 years old. To my surprise it started after just the second round of abusive language  :ohmy:  :D

As I checked things over I noticed a lot of fuel coming from where the pipes enter the fuel tank, after cleaning it up there doesn't seem to be any sealant or a seal on them at all, just pipes pushed into holes  :ohmy: That can't be right - can it ? Im keen not to have petrol dripping out when Im using it so what's suitable to fix it ?

fatcat1955

Re: Strimmer fuel line entry into tank.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 19:18 »
I would have thought that the pipe would have been pushed onto a spigot. Also check that the mice have not been chewing on the pipe.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 20:27 »
Pulled my ryobi strimmer <spit> out of the shed today expecting to fight with it for a couple of hours to get it started, normally the case especially as the petrol is now 3 years old. To my surprise it started after just the second round of abusive language  :ohmy:  :D

As I checked things over I noticed a lot of fuel coming from where the pipes enter the fuel tank, after cleaning it up there doesn't seem to be any sealant or a seal on them at all, just pipes pushed into holes  :ohmy: That can't be right - can it ? Im keen not to have petrol dripping out when Im using it so what's suitable to fix it ?
Hi lardman some strimmers are like that ,pipes going straight through tank but they are sealed like a very tight fit i have one of those yellow ryobi small strimmers with pipes pushed through it also leaked ,pipes perish over time try putting new ones in or clean around them well and put silicone sealant round them, that works well ive also had to do the same with my mantis which has a rubber gromit hope this helps.Darren
diggity dig dig

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 20:37 »
some strimmers are like that ,pipes going straight through tank but they are sealed like a very tight fit i have one of those yellow ryobi small strimmers with pipes pushed through it also leaked

Glad it's not me going mad ! It seems a really silly design just to friction fit them  :mad:  Why both with a cork washer on the fuel tank when it can just pour out of the other holes  at will :ohmy:

pipes perish over time try putting new ones in or clean around them well and put silicone sealant round them

The pipes look in good condition, I couldn't see any nicks or rodent damage  ::) Silicone will be liberally applied tomorrow. I add leaky pipes to the list of reason I think it's a rubbish tool.  :blush:

grendel

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 12:30 »
It could be that the pipes are disintegrating internally and collapsing in on themselves, I have had this and new pipes will cure it as they will be a tight fit through the holes.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 06:38 »

Correct.
The fuleline is of Silicon(?) expanding slightly and thus sealing.
You will have to change the fuleline every odd year; as well as the vaccuum membrane in the carb.
Albert

xx
Bonding a plastic fuel tank

Started by andyw on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2012, 20:30
by andyw
xx
Tiny pin hole in fuel tank

Started by andyw on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2012, 12:49
by Gwiz
xx
Briggs and Stratton Fuel tank replacement

Started by mrsbob on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post November 14, 2014, 10:38
by shedmeister
xx
Strimmer Line.

Started by greenhead on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2016, 21:15
by jezza

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.