Re: Onions from seed - for 2020

• 125 Replies

jambop

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2020, 08:33 »

Yes if the soil is fairly open it does no harm to plant the a little bit deep, I use a pointed dibber, 3 or 4cm . I have had to watch things in the past because my soil is very fine and quite clay like so when the sun gets on it it set very hard , this can restrict the growth of the onion bulb. Now with my no dig raised beds the soil is open and not a problem.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2020, 09:07 »
Having never grown onions from seed how deep do you plant them out ??? i think mine are ready to go out they've grown quite tall  :)

It is quite early for them to go out, so I would just be ready to stick a cloche over them if you have a frost forecast.  I'm glad they have done well for you though  :)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2020, 11:55 »

Yes if the soil is fairly open it does no harm to plant the a little bit deep,

One point I'd like to add that my soil is very heavy so I tend to fill the hole around things like onions with a little multipurpose compost rather then back filling with clay!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 15:30 by Plot 1 Problems »

JoshP

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2020, 12:26 »
My Ailsa Craig, Globo and Bedfordshire Champion all looking good in the sunshine today!
CBB7F4DE-F8AE-4077-8580-C905554DF14C.jpeg
D769AF53-994D-42C1-B044-8BCE40686C97.jpeg

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2020, 17:47 »
I've just noticed this thread, I'm trying onions from seed for the first time this year having used sets for the last 10 years. Fingers crossed that they will be successful.

Chris929

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2020, 20:18 »
I've cut back my onions a good 3 or 4 times so far and wanting to move them into an unheated greenhouse to make space indoors. Will they need hardening off over a week like I usually do for summer veg or are onions less temperamental and could go outside quicker?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2020, 20:33 »
I've cut back my onions a good 3 or 4 times so far and wanting to move them into an unheated greenhouse to make space indoors. Will they need hardening off over a week like I usually do for summer veg or are onions less temperamental and could go outside quicker?

Mine are in the unheated greenhouse on the bench, with fleece handy to chuck over them if we get a hard frost forecast.   I would cover them up overnight for the first week, then only worry about doing that if it goes really cold  :)

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2020, 16:42 »
After chittig i put 5 seeds in a module and all are now sprouting. Can anyone tell me when they should have a module each? I have taken them outside today to get used to some colder temps

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2020, 18:15 »
After chittig i put 5 seeds in a module and all are now sprouting. Can anyone tell me when they should have a module each?

If I am doing any pricking out, I usually wait until they have started their second leaf.  You can plant out as a group if you want.  They grow into a clump of smaller onions than if grown singly, but it is an option  :)

jambop

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2020, 17:35 »
My Ailsa Craig, Globo and Bedfordshire Champion all looking good in the sunshine today!
Get those in the ground pronto! They look great. I am a little disappointed with my seedlings but they are going in very soon and a fraction the size of those. I do not think a bit of frost should it arrive will do much to those onions are quite hardy.

JoshP

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2020, 21:04 »
Get those in the ground pronto! They look great. I am a little disappointed with my seedlings but they are going in very soon and a fraction the size of those. I do not think a bit of frost should it arrive will do much to those onions are quite hardy.
Planning to plant out in about a week or so. Sown on Boxing Day which is why they are so forward!

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2020, 22:05 »
Never grown onions from seed before and the ones that I sowed the other day have started to show !!  Well happy! :D :D  Just need to get some more underway.

Sounds like a great result for your first try :D

It does get a bit addictive this onion growing lark.  I have a mini greenhouse inside the main greenhouse stuffed with seedlings and probably no room for them all on the plot  ::)  I think it is just a way to get going early in the season,  sort through seed packets and feel you are growing something.  It speaks to the inner seedaholic in us all :lol:

Nearly lost my first sowing , put in spare room misjudged how warm room was compost drying out   :ohmy: , fingers crossed watered in time  :ohmy:

Have sown some more today while in the greenhouse following Aidy's sowing tip. 
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2020, 18:19 »
Hi,
I've been putting the onions and shallots ontop of my plastic shed in the garden in the day but bringing in at night for the last 5-6 nights while its been nice. Do you think they will be ok to go overnight as yet and if not what to the overnight temps need to get to?

IMG_1690.jpeg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2020, 19:41 »

Do you think they will be ok to go overnight as yet and if not what to the overnight temps need to get to?

I would not risk it yet.  They need to stay frost free and we have a week of cold overnight temperatures forecast.

Florablunder

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2020, 14:59 »
Hi,
Can someone tell me how I know when the seedlings are ready to go into the ground? I've got some in  modules, they are about an inch high at the moment. Thanks!

xx
Potato Days & Seed Fairs 2020

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2020, 08:51
by cssg mick
xx
Help Onions Run To Seed!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 20:13
by Donnay
xx
Onions from Seed

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 02, 2014, 16:30
by Eightball
clip
onions from seed?

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 11, 2015, 16:41
by Audy70

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 55 queries.