Gettin' on a bit - but still gardening!

• 38 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Gettin' on a bit - but still gardening!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 16:22 »
I've rather a large flower and veg garden which years ago I used to manage as well as decorating inside and out (see attached pics). I am very fortunate that not only did I find a gardening handyman who I really get on with but also my dear niece-in-law gives me a hand with bits of housework I struggle to do. In return (well, sort of) she's now got two of our raised beds where she's trying to grow veg for her family. She's really taken with the whole process of gardening, and her two children (Louisa and Johnathan) love coming to help with digging etc and they're also learning about nature as well. It's like standing aside while you teach others what you've learnt about all sorts of things over the years and I love to have them around, and it works both ways. We're going to have two year-old Johnathan on a Monday afternoon so she can do more milking on the farm where she works. We've never had children but I feel so blessed because they've given us a new lease of life which means more to us than I can say.
To me, ageing with my loved ones has brought so many benefits that far outweighs all my physical aches and pains. I'm still here despite all the odds and their love and care is a continual healing process that helps to mend the scars in my heart from past years.
 Growster, if you think I'm gonna consider getting a stairlift then think again! I'd probably catch my leg on the damn thing especially if our little Johnathan is here, because he's such a smartie-pants he would suss out how it works and then have me zipping up and down like Zebedee!  :lol:
Front garden looking east.jpg
Front garden looking west.jpg
Goose and chicken pen (2).jpg
Middle lawn 2.jpg
Back lawn.jpg
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 17:21 »
Looks fantastic Goosey😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 21:27 »
A beautiful garden GG.

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 22:14 »
It's a pastime not a farm is a quote from someone on this site. Very true. I spent the last 38 years of my working life (1 year ago) , working shifts and sat behind a desk. Every hour I grabbed a coffee and bought it to my desk. 10 months ago I took over a much neglected (5ft high nettles and weeds across the 45ft by 42ft plot. I still grab a coffee roughly every hour, but now I sit and admire a beautiful view. Plot is sorted - obviously the list of jobs never diminishes - but, there is always tomorrow. Enjoy, don't get stressed, as long as the weeds are controlled and the veg is watered you're doing enough.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 10:53 »
Close to 70 but still able to manhandle a pressure washer up onto the roof of our bungalow to clear the guttering in readyness for our next storm. ::)

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Goosegirl

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2019, 15:27 »
I find pressure-washing very addictive and could even manage to lug it up to the roof if we had a bungalow which we don't and am not going to try it. The last time I went on a roof was to paint the rendering above the single-storey extension as the tiles looked to have a good grip, er, wrong! Fortunately I didn't spill any paint over my OH as he helped me down but never again! I stick to the paving around the house and patios and the rendering on the low walls around the garden. Then there's my garden bench, various stone pots, garage walls, the windows and the rendering on our cottage, the car, the cats, my OH - the list is never-ending and nor is my refusal to bow down to the ageing process!

Christine

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2019, 15:45 »
Nowadays I come home when it starts a heavy shower that looks as if it will continue for a long time.  No longer fun being sodden.

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2019, 21:29 »
Catharsis today...

One wheelbarrow of old pots, frames, netting, clear plastic covers etc - all down to the old allotments for other much younger people to use!

And now, lots of space for me to do a few more smaller, more imagineable jobs at home too...

Another barrowload tomorrow, probably two!

Goosegirl

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 15:57 »
There's nothing like a bit of catharsis to clear out all the accumulated rubbish both physical and mental. As my dear lovely niece and her husband said when they came to help us out to sort out our burgeoning home with all its various furniture, ornaments and other stuff, she said some very wise words which was to be ruthless. I said to myself if it ain't doing anything for me then get a skip and chuck it in or put them in a box and give them to a charity, and it was the same with my garden where some areas needed a good sort-out which kind of clears the mind so you can concentrate on the things that really matter to you.

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2019, 20:33 »
Very true, Goosers, very true!

I spent the morning finishing off the clearance, shoved all the pots down the road, then realigned the storage shelves in a totally different position, and now have sooooooo much extra space that there's room for some more courgettes (NO says Mrs Growster - paaaah), but I'll think of something else, probably about 3:00am, when the doors are locked, the owls hoot, and only one car passes to delight the shadows beyond their mortal stare...

Goosegirl

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 12:59 »
Thanks all for your kind replies to my garden pics. The other week I had a big chuck-out of accumulated cracked pots to give me more room in the g-house for plants etc (oops OH, get out of that wheelie bin!) and it gives you a sense of freedom. Unfortunately that leads to a sudden desire to fill the empty bench and shelves. It's like Groundhog Day all over again!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 07:38 »
Not been around a great deal due to a few circumstances, but talking of getting on a bit, I'm now a first time granddad, and had a hernia (no connection) that's now been fixed. Having it fixed put me totally out of action after being in super-slow mode for several months, so now it's onwards and upwards.

Can't hang about, I've an allotment to reclaim!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mrs bouquet

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 10:59 »
Congrats on the grandchild, and recovering from your nasty operation.   So, that's it now, no excuses Digger Dave !     :D  regards  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2019, 15:03 »
Good to read this, Dave!

Just keep taking the tablets, and it's nearly time for pics of your peas too, so we're waiting!

Love to Mrs DD too, she must have got fed up with you wandering around muttering 'peas' etc...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2019, 18:37 »
Good to read this, Dave!

Just keep taking the tablets, and it's nearly time for pics of your peas too, so we're waiting!

Love to Mrs DD too, she must have got fed up with you wandering around muttering 'peas' etc...

Sad to relate, the hernia and fix it operation has stopped me getting my maincrop peas in this year. I do have a  "climbing" heritage variety at home though called "Robinson" that I'm saving for seed next year. They're looking quite good.
65057775_10219249796815016_7031688601238765568_n.jpg

xx
Gardening serendipity

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2019, 21:46
by mumofstig
xx
Indoor gardening

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post January 11, 2024, 16:46
by wighty
xx
Fantasy gardening

16 Replies
Last post October 31, 2020, 17:03
by wighty
clip
Gardening assistants

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2018, 11:28
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 53 queries.