Crop Rotations - Needing Advice

• 3 Replies

alex.in.nz

Crop Rotations - Needing Advice
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:33 »
Hi there.
I have spent a bit of time reading the A-G website, and i've learnt a lot, but I'm still needing some advice.
I'm moving on to a 10acre farmlet next month, and I wanted to use 5 acres in a crop rotation fashion - having 10 x 1/2 acre plots.

I just don't know how to build the rotation plan.
Context - I am in the north island of New Zealand. We get frosts, but no snow. Also in a higher rainfall area. I will be looking at growing food for my family and to feed animals (cattle, horse, pigs, chooks).

Originally I had the following plan:
3-5 years grass
Oats -
Root (swedes)
Legumes (broad beans)
Potatoes
Corn
then back to grass

Using green manures in between.
But i'm having issues building this all out, especially around the legume/potato timing.

I just read the 5 year rotation plan here - https://www.allotment-garden.org/crop-rotation/five-year-crop-rotation-plan/
The plan for that is:
1. Potatos
2. Legumes
3. Brassicas
4. Corn
5. Root

I was wondering, could I use this plan but swap in Oats to replace the brassicas?
Or should I put the roots at year 3, and oats at year 5?
Are oats and corn OK back to back?

Thanks!

geordiekev

Re: Crop Rotations - Needing Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 13:33 »
You should probably seek advice from your government's agricultural department or other farmers in your area. 5 Acres is a massive sized "plot" compared to what we have in dear old blighty. I do not know of any allotment holder who grows cereals, (plots too small) your 5 acres would probably house 80 standard allotment pitches, that is precisely the size of the site where i have mine.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 16:36 »
I agree with you geordiekev.  This scale of agriculture is a bit out of our  expertise.

I'll move it to our small holding board in case anyone who frequents there can add their thoughts.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 00:12 »
I'd suggest you take a look at this page on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=curtis+stone+new+zealand

And also consider buying Richard Perkins excellent book on small scale farming utilising permaculture and regenerative agriculture. It's roughly 58 NZD which isn't cheap but it really is a masterwork. You can only buy it direct from him on his site. Link below
Home

I think it's worth investing a little time and money on getting helpful information so you'll be equipped to properly plan out - even if you're not looking to make money as a farm.
Incidentally, you should be able to provide all the vegetables and fruit for a family from 500 square yards - which leaves a bit of room for the animals :)
Richard Perkins also has a very good Youtube channel - whilst he's in Sweden, many of his methods and principles make sense for anywhere.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 39 queries.