What happened to blight?

• 11 Replies

viettaclark

What happened to blight?
« on: September 18, 2013, 17:40 »
Might be tempting fate here but I've been amazed and delighted that so far NO BLIGHT and the tomato harvest is nearly in!
I was sure I had it earliy in August but snipped off the couple of branches and nothing else developed....probably because it was so hot and dry.
Now the cold weather has arrived I suppose it's too chilly for the blight spores?
This is the first time I haven't had it....last year it was so early I had no crop at all so this year I grew MORE plants (72) in various locations round our garden (which is quite big) hoping at least some would escape.
And as ALL the plants have done so well I'm reduced (!) to oven drying as the freezers are full.
Brilliant! :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: What happened to blight?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 18:44 »
Still plenty of confirmed outbreaks being reported on the Potato Council's blight map, especially in the Merseyside area, although your area seems remarkably clear VC (could be the advantage you have of most of your prevailing winds coming off the sea.)

Once it starts blight can escalate rapidly, but it doesn't seem to have had the "right" conditions for long enough to become an epidemic this year for most of us, thank goodness.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 18:53 »
We got blight on our plots a couple of weeks ago, but it doesn't show on the blight maps because it wasn't reported, presumably ( I don't think there are any potato growing farmers locally, to do so.

It was so late in the year, that I had a good harvest of main crops, regardless  :D

A lot of people including me, lost our tomatoes though, just before they started ripening  :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 18:57 »
We are still holding it off here (fingers crossed) and outdoor toms have been very good this year.

I am assuming it is due to the lack of full Smith periods: long may that last  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 18:57 »
This is the 1st year of 3 that we have been lucky enough to escape  the blight and have had a great crop of tomatoes. My freezer is packed full and I have jars and jars of various chutneys and the plants are still going strong. Now my neighbours are beginning to hide!!!! :D I'm very pleased with my tomatoes.  :)

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 13:50 »
I cut and brought in remaining trusses of moneymaker and plum tomatoes in my daughters garden as leaves were beginning to look rather dodgy so did not want to risk losing the crop.  In my own garden i still have sweet million, mazkotkas, plums, a beefsteak and moneymaker looking healthy out of doors. Fingers crossed.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 17:02 »
We got blight on our plots a couple of weeks ago, but it doesn't show on the blight maps because it wasn't reported, presumably ( I don't think there are any potato growing farmers locally, to do so.

It was so late in the year, that I had a good harvest of main crops, regardless  :D

A lot of people including me, lost our tomatoes though, just before they started ripening  :(

So you got affected by that lot in New Romney, did you Mums?

We were very lucky to have been far enough away from it, but there have been several scares on our plots,...

Poor you, it's not a good thing to happen!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 17:34 »
That's the one, I suppose.

As I say the Desires had begun to die off anyway, so I don't really think it mattered to the harvest.

Anyone that has completely escaped has been very lucky  ;)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 17:50 »
Wiped out our toms literally overnight  ::) mind you we had had plenty from the outdoor ones, the indoor as of last night were still ok

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 20:40 »
That's the one, I suppose.

As I say the Desires had begun to die off anyway, so I don't really think it mattered to the harvest.

Anyone that has completely escaped has been very lucky  ;)

Toms do that to you. Been there,, buried the crop many times :0(

Why on earth the Southeast got clobbered I'll never know, but there are several potato farms and suppliers dotted around there - we still see their lorries here!

Next year eh?

:0)

missmoneypenny

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 17:12 »
I came back from a week away thoroughly convinced I d be et by a scene of devastation. My heart beating a little quicker, I turned a bend and..... They were OK! Amazing! I m in SW London don t kno wif there s been a lot of it here. I did Bordeaux mix 3 times between June and September. I m just so happy. I think I ll even be able to make some sauce for preserving.
And the BLack Russians! OMG. I ve never grown a tomato with more flavour plus they look stunning, although they do have a tendency to split. No one's perfect.

bonfire

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 20:25 »
Cold spring and hot dry July around these parts - one spray of Bordeaux Mixture just in case.
It's the wet June- July that gets blight going round here. This year has been perfect for a change.
Joining Blightwatch helps you do what can be done at the right time for it to have a chance of making a difference.

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Help - its happened!

Started by allotless on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 03:25
by JulesJ
xx
What's happened to my Rhubarb?

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 13, 2008, 14:06
by mikem
xx
What happened to my rhubarb?

Started by Lottiegob on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 09:49
by Lottiegob

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 37 queries.