Greenhouse rainwater collection kit

• 9 Replies

cliver

Greenhouse rainwater collection kit
« on: April 09, 2012, 16:31 »
Hello all, I am just starting my first season in my greenhouse having put it up last autumn and overwintered a few bits and pieces successfully.
Now, as I live in the drought stricken south east, I am looking to collect any rainwater from the roof. As I do from the house roof.
My problem is I'm not sure what kit to get. I don't know what make the greenhouse is (I bought it second hand). It has a square section gutter that measures 20mm across the bottom internally and approx 28mm inside the uprights. This seems smaller than most of the kits I find on the internet.
Can anyone help me identify the correct kit?
Or, if there isn't one, any ideas how I can make one to fit.
Any ideas much appreciated.

Regards
Clive

mattwragg94

Re: Greenhouse rainwater collection kit
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 17:12 »
what about these: LINK

ive been thinking about getting some of them!

Edit long link
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 18:24 by argyllie »

cliver

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 17:18 »

Looking at the measurements these are to big for my guttering I think.

Edit long link inside quote ::) :D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 18:25 by argyllie »

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 20:13 »

Looking at the measurements these are to big for my guttering I think.

Edit long link inside quote ::) :D

Hi Cliver,

You may get some help from Halls, who make all sorts of aluminium greenhouses.

http://www.ukgreenhousesales.co.uk/Greenhouses/Halls-Greenhouses/?source=halls&kw=Halls%20greenhouses&ap=1t1&mt=b&gclid=CI-a_bq7qK8CFWohtAodjUa1Yw

If you have the gutter intact and falling (sloping) to one end as it should, you may be able just to let the water drip into a butt or similar, until you get the right kit,  or,  even just fix a piece of string at the lower end, and dangle it into a receptacle! The water travels along the gutter and down the string!

It works - believe me!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 20:38 by Growster... »

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 20:28 »
Just a word of warning about the kit in the link. I have just bought and fitted on of these to my new greenhouse. The downpipe is a rigid hard plastic pipe with no flexibility in it at all. It would be pretty inpossible to connect the pipe to the butt.

I have fitted the gutter stop end and the running outlet and it fits each end of the gutter nicely and does not leak, however I will need to replace the rigid pipe with a flexi pipe from the aquatic centre.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

cliver

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 20:47 »

Hi Cliver,

You may get some help from Halls, who make all sorts of aluminium greenhouses.

http://www.ukgreenhousesales.co.uk/Greenhouses/Halls-Greenhouses/?source=halls&kw=Halls%20greenhouses&ap=1t1&mt=b&gclid=CI-a_bq7qK8CFWohtAodjUa1Yw

If you have the gutter intact and falling (sloping) to one end as it should, you may be able just to let the water drip into a butt or similar, until you get the right kit,  or,  even just fix a piece of string at the lower end, and dangle it into a receptacle! The water travels along the gutter and down the string!

It works - believe me!
[/quote]

Thanks Growster, I'll have a look at halls and try some of your suggestions  :-)

cliver

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 20:49 »
Just a word of warning about the kit in the link. I have just bought and fitted on of these to my new greenhouse. The downpipe is a rigid hard plastic pipe with no flexibility in it at all. It would be pretty inpossible to connect the pipe to the butt.

I have fitted the gutter stop end and the running outlet and it fits each end of the gutter nicely and does not leak, however I will need to replace the rigid pipe with a flexi pipe from the aquatic centre.
thanks for the heads up. A rigid pipe would be useless.

savbo

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 08:26 »
I have used ordinary 75mm downpipe as a collector, which fits quite snugly into the corner of  the greenhouse (the 90 degree formed by the side and end glazing bars if that makes sense). Once you've got that in place, you can use whatever sort of connector you need. To hold the pipe in place I've drilled a couple of holes in the glazing bars and wound wire around, but I started with wire through the M clips and that worked fine...

cliver

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 10:17 »
I have used ordinary 75mm downpipe as a collector, which fits quite snugly into the corner of  the greenhouse (the 90 degree formed by the side and end glazing bars if that makes sense). Once you've got that in place, you can use whatever sort of connector you need. To hold the pipe in place I've drilled a couple of holes in the glazing bars and wound wire around, but I started with wire through the M clips and that worked fine...

Hmmm, sounds like a plan beginning to formulate. Thanks for ther idea savbo.  :happy:

lazydog

• Experienced Member
    • The alternative to burning tobacco
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 10:49 »
pushbike inner tube works wonders! :lol:
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food

xx
Water collection

Started by noshed on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 17:58
by Gwiz
xx
Polytunnel water collection

Started by StephenRowley on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 17:10
by StephenRowley
xx
Does this greenhouse look ok?

Started by 1st time veg grower on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 01:36
by peter james
xx
greenhouse

Started by supervegman on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 19:05
by adele

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 40 queries.