help with this pest!

• 5 Replies

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
help with this pest!
« on: February 12, 2011, 21:31 »
while digging i find these nasties on a regular basis. i have found them eating my potatoes and carrots in large numbers and haven't the slightest clue to what they are. I have asked several other allotment holders and they just say centipedes, but they are definitely NOT millipedes or centipedes, i know my bugs!!! can any experts tell me what they are? they are very flat and slow moving!!

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw0i3NEYVLJfZDUwMDIxYTUtMzRiNS00NjdiLWJhN2QtZGQyNDNmY2NlZjc3&hl=en_GB

fatcat1955

Re: help with this pest!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 22:27 »
Looks like a Symphylid to me.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 07:22 »
while digging i find these nasties on a regular basis. i have found them eating my potatoes and carrots in large numbers and haven't the slightest clue to what they are. I have asked several other allotment holders and they just say centipedes, but they are definitely NOT millipedes or centipedes, i know my bugs!!! can any experts tell me what they are? they are very flat and slow moving!!

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw0i3NEYVLJfZDUwMDIxYTUtMzRiNS00NjdiLWJhN2QtZGQyNDNmY2NlZjc3&hl=en_GB

Not to well hahahah, Could it be a flat millipede (Brachydesmus superus) an option maybe yours looks like it has 19 segments on a larger view photograph

Millipedes can be occasional pests of potatoes and where damage occurs, other pests e.g. slugs are often found. Damage on tubers can be severe where large numbers assemble. The flat millipede is the most common species causing damage in UK fields. The adult has 19 body segments with males having 19 pairs of legs and females 28 pairs. Eggs (around 50 per female) are laid in the spring and summer in dome shaped nests and the life cycle can take around 12 months

Control
Temik 10G when used against other pests of potatoes will control this pest. Mocap 10G may also have some effect.

Taken from Bayercrop science website

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:27 by Rangerkris »
Thanks
Kris

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 11:04 »
Thanks for that. Now i know what they are I can start dealing with them!!!  ::)

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 11:11 »
Yes, this is a flat millepede.

Temic and Mocap are only available to commercial growers. In fact I think Temic may have been banned as dangerous to operators.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 16:45 »
Control
Temik 10G when used against other pests of potatoes will control this pest. Mocap 10G may also have some effect.

Taken from Bayercrop science website

Temik contains active ingredient aldicarb and is not licensed in this country for either amateur or professional use.  Mocap contains ethoprophos and is only licensed in this country for professional use.

Neither should therefore be used on an allotment.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
DD Sorry to be a pest again !!

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 14:49
by flowergirl
clip
Name that pest...

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2019, 12:50
by Goosegirl
xx
New pest: 4 yr old son!

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 23:04
by kermit
xx
Pest ID - Can you tell what it is yet??

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 19:52
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 39 queries.