Rats

• 17 Replies

Swing Swang

Re: Rats
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 21:33 »
Peanut butter coated poison being gobbled up by Mr and Mrs R.

Thank you,

SS

Swing Swang

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 21:12 »
OK so these rats are gobbling up the poison. I've put down (and had eaten) over 1kg since I started jazzing it up a bit with peanut butter, and they've been taking it for about a fortnight. Without the peanut butter they leave the bait for a couple of days, with the peanut butter it goes within 12 hours.

Anyone got any idea how long it takes to sort out a typical infestation, and how much bait I'll end up using? It's probably a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but when I've had mice in the garage they stopped taking the bait after about three days and the problem is sorted for months. I really want this sorted before they start to make lots of babies, and I'd like to start using my compost heap again.

Should I put out a little and often?
Should I put out loads of the stuff and let them work their way through it? Or will they 'store' it rather than eat it.

Regards,

SS

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 21:21 »
OK so these rats are gobbling up the poison. I've put down (and had eaten) over 1kg since I started jazzing it up a bit with peanut butter, and they've been taking it for about a fortnight. Without the peanut butter they leave the bait for a couple of days, with the peanut butter it goes within 12 hours.

Anyone got any idea how long it takes to sort out a typical infestation, and how much bait I'll end up using? It's probably a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but when I've had mice in the garage they stopped taking the bait after about three days and the problem is sorted for months. I really want this sorted before they start to make lots of babies, and I'd like to start using my compost heap again.

Should I put out a little and often?
Should I put out loads of the stuff and let them work their way through it? Or will they 'store' it rather than eat it.

Regards,

SS

I was surprised how much they were gobbling and how long I had to supply my guests with blue-bait (they liked living under and in my shed). "How much" depends on how many you are feeding! Eventually the poison causes blood vessels to rupture killing the little bu**ers...but they need a fair build up before it is fatal. Mice obviously, being smaller, need to eat less.

As for storing it. I'm not sure about that - it's a good question. Hampsters store food but... not sure whether rats do or not. An internet search might answer that question.... but I have not heard of rats creating a stash of food or a winter store. ???
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

wireless
rats

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 20:24
by richyrich7
xx
RAts

Started by Ramsbury Allotments on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 17:28
by dugless
xx
Rats and veg

Started by dan808 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 21:53
by sunshineband
xx
Rats

Started by chimaera on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 21:43
by Minty

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 38 queries.