Peppers and chillis

• 5 Replies

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
Peppers and chillis
« on: August 03, 2011, 09:20 »
My bell peppers are doing amazing three or four per plant. Do they ripen on the plant? My chilli which is next to them although has flowers they aren't producing fruit any suggestions
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Peppers and chillis
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:26 »
My cheapo pack of mixed peppers bought a couple of years ago continues to entertain as I never know what sort of peppers I'm going to get! This year they are all bell-peppers but some are large, some are small, some have gone only from green to yellow, others straight from green to red!  :lol:

They've all ripened on the plants though.

If your chillies are indoors giving them an occasional shake to distribute the pollen can help, or if really desperate you could use a fine paintbrush to manually pollinate them.

They usually set OK outdoors though, even if the weather conditions aren't totally to their liking.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:27 »
They will start to ripen on the plant and will continue to so once picked. They'll produce more fruit if you keep them picked, so its a good idea to pick them before they are ripe.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:45 »
Many of my chillies have not set fruit or even got flowers on yet and it remains to be seen if they will do anything this year at all.  If yours have flowers on then chances are they will start fruiting soon.  I always give my plants a shake in the mornings, it's part of the morning ritual.

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 11:48 »
I read this with interest as I am new not only to chicken keeping but to vegetable gardening (I think I had a bump to the head when I turned 50 a few months back  :blush: ).  I have green peppers growing and have no idea when to pick them.  After reading these posts seems I can do so now but I have attached a pic for the seasoned gardener to look at and give advice  :)

I know I have said it before, but this forum is THE best.  Everything under one 'roof' with very helpful folk  ;)
DSC01268.JPG
When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping,' now I just 'chunky dunk.'

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 11:51 »
If you like green peppers pick them now, but if you want sweeter ones wait until they change colour.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
Chillis and peppers?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 13:00
by Sadgit
xx
Peppers or chillis

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2009, 10:18
by abraidwood
xx
What to do with my peppers and chillis

Started by funkydelia on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 20:02
by Kristen
xx
Peppers and chillis

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 21, 2007, 22:49
by mulletsrokk

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 37 queries.