Chickweed.

• 9 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Chickweed.
« on: August 12, 2012, 17:37 »

Just cleared an area of a raised bed between the beetroot and the spinach of just (nearly) one weed.  An area of about a square yard, or one yard square.

How can chickweed grow and thrive with such a miniscule stem! ! ! :ohmy:

But it is my favourite weed to weed (if you know what I mean).   Carefully feel around under a mat of leaves and zone in on resistance and carefully teaze out.  Now there is a Two foot thick wodge in the compost bin.

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Chickweed.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 17:50 »
I've got two types - one with lime green leaves which grows fairly upright and pulls out quite easily, and the other with darker leaves which creeps several inches in each direction and nearly always snaps off at soil level!  :mad:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 17:57 »
It is a great feeling to clear it! My favourite to remove is bindweed, great when you remove the whole root! I find chickweed a bit annoying as mine seems to do the same as Jay's and snap off at the root :(

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 18:03 »

The good thing about bindweek is the roots are so white, easy to spot even in claggy soil.

Cheers,    Tony.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 18:36 »
The absolutely best thing about bindweed is that I've not got any in my garden!  :tongue2:  :lol:

Goldfinger

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 19:25 »

My dad has a MAJOR problem with chickweed, no amount of weeding is weakening or even stopping it  :(

He has now been 'informed' to try and use a weedkiller once the ground is completely empty, and then cover it with thick/heavy black plastic over the autumn and winter.

We just have a serious bindweed problem at home, the neighbours on either side aren't 'doing their bit' to help.  >:(

If only the chooks would eat it.........  ::)

nodiggardener

• No Dig Gardener
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 17:47 »
It is a great feeling to clear it! My favourite to remove is bindweed, great when you remove the whole root! I find chickweed a bit annoying as mine seems to do the same as Jay's and snap off at the root :(
the chap with two types of chickweed. I wondered if the low growing darker one could be mouse eared chickweed. Its a common lawn weed  but is happy to grow almost anywhere!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 19:59 »
the chap with two types of chickweed. I wondered if the low growing darker one could be mouse eared chickweed. Its a common lawn weed  but is happy to grow almost anywhere!

That'll be JayG  :D

The one with no bindweed  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 12:21 »
I've got two types - one with lime green leaves which grows fairly upright and pulls out quite easily, and the other with darker leaves which creeps several inches in each direction and nearly always snaps off at soil level!  :mad:

Just been having a closer look at these two jokers ( :mad: ) - the lime green one is probably Petty Spurge, also known as milkweed, the other one almost certainly Common Chickweed (how apt!)  ;)

khelashi

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 01:38 »
Don't waste your chickweed, eat it! It makes a delicious and nutritious pesto, soup, put it in bread or use it like spinach. It also has healing properties, you can make a skin cream out of it!  :happy:
Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. :-)

xx
Chickweed?

Started by willowman on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 01:23
by mashauk
clip
Is this chickweed?

Started by Willowsmum on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 29, 2015, 11:15
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 38 queries.