Tobacco

• 10 Replies

RobertSongs

Tobacco
« on: April 22, 2012, 12:26 »
Has anyone had experience growing any type of tobacco plants for the purpose of smoking themselves...I quit cigarettes last november and switched to vaping or E cigarettes and have recently become aware of method to extract the flavour of the tobacco for use in my Ecig..But really want to grow some tobacco using organic methods as the shop bought tobacco has lots of nasty additives...

Regards

Rob

Maybe if this is in the thread is in the wrong place the mods could move it for me thanks
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:29 by RobertSongs »
The Quest For Curry Leaf Continues

fatcat1955

Re: Tobacco
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 12:40 »
I think the drying process would be hard to achieve in this climate and if you use artificial heat the cost would outweigh the benefit. I thought hand rolling tobacco was generally free from additived anyway.

RobertSongs

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:53 »
There are various ways of curing the tobacco flu cured with smoke etc or air drying could be achieved in my polytunnel 6 - 8 wks with sunlight so that shouldn`t be too much of a problem..See your from Hunsdon im from Welwyn garden city..but have spent many a pleasurable afternoon in the Fox and Hounds the local guest ales did help the process

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 14:33 »
Wife work's in Welwyn for the YMCA. Fox is good but pricey to eat. The Crown does a great Fish & Chips for £7.50 on a friday.

Dopey113

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 15:51 »
I have a cunning plan...... grow tobacco cure it and makes fags out of it, I gave some posts a few days ago to a Romanian guy on the plot, and today he gave me this...

Clever huh? you can make your own fags!! this machine makes 2 at a time, but you can get ones that make 4 or 6 as well all in one go, I smoke roll ups, and never seen this before today
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

allot2learn

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 22:55 »
About 20 years ago I worked with a chap on a farm just outside Newbury, and he grew enough pipe tobacco for the year in his garden. He would harvest the leaves, bundle it up and send it to somewhere near Norwich for drying and curing. He told me that the cost of the process was 10% of the tobacco leaves.
It used to come back vacuum packed in plastic bags.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 23:13 »
I believe that although it is legal to grow tobacco for your own consumption you still have to pay excise duty on it.  Also, you have no control over the harmful tar and nicotine levels. 
Cheese makes everything better.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 23:23 »
I believe that although it is legal to grow tobacco for your own consumption you still have to pay excise duty on it. 

This is quite correct, Ice. 

It is, in fact, the responsibility of the person growing tobacco to volunteer the excise duty once the home grown tobacco into a form in which it can be smoked. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 23:28 by Aunt Sally »

allot2learn

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 23:25 »
Well spotted, Ice, Please have a read of this.................

http://www.freesmoking.co.uk/moreinfoUK.html

They just better keep their mitts off my homebrew,,,,,,,,,,,,  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 23:50 »

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 09:51 »
While the growing of tobacco is legal we, as a forum, cannot condone the processing of it into a usable form without also having a serious discussion on paying the excise duty as well. 

What you do in your own home is your affair, but we have reached the fag end of the discussion on here.  It's time to stub it out and send it to the great ash tray in the sky.

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 28 queries.