Pekins

• 4 Replies

Kezza

Pekins
« on: January 24, 2012, 10:22 »
Hi there

My sister is waiting for her new coop to arrive, and will soon be buying 3-4 pekins.

I have chickens and we don't know alot about pekins.  Does anyone have any tips on which ones are the best to buy.  She knows that they aren't prolific layers, just wants them as pets and the bonus of an odd tasty egg here and there!

Thank you.

gingerplant

Re: Pekins
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:46 »
I had a lovely partridge pekin called Mavis, who was a good layer (3-4 a week) and made an excellent mother!  VERY prone to broodiness, but I guess if they're pets that's not so much of a problem.... but might suggest getting only 3 in case you want to let one raise a brood as the numbers will rapidly expand  :lol:
We also had a lovely cockerel Henry who was very good natured (and the crowing is relatively quiet!) and looked after his ladies well.
I think they're lovely!

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 15:30 »
As pekins are a feather footed breed, they need slightly different husbandry than clean footed breeds.

You (your sister) needs to be very careful about mud/stones/ice etc fouling the feathers on the feet, ad this can pull making it uncomfortable to walk.  Things like scaley mite are more easily hidden with leg feathers, so another thing to look out for.

Also, be aware that, as with orpingtons, there can be a big difference between "exhibition" pekins and "pet grade" pekins in the amount of feathering they have or how "bouffant" they look.

I don't have pekins, but have seen plenty on the show bench, and they all look very sweet, and appear to be docile :)

Suzybat

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 22:36 »
I have a Pekin and she is lovely, very freindly and is head chicken, she jumps straight up onto bench to greet me and is always trying to get into house to seek treats.

Kezza

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 22:24 »
Thank you for your replies.  Pekins do sound lovely and they look great too.

I shall pass on your advice to my sister and will keep you posted as to what she ends up buying.

:)

xx
Tell me about Pekins. x

Started by clairebeau on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 12:31
by chickenlady
xx
Pop Hole for Pekins

Started by Belinda on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 21:59
by Belinda
clip
Perching Pekins

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 17:31
by ANHBUC
question
sexing pekins

Started by Lisalou on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 09:40
by danmegal

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 36 queries.