passion flowers

• 5 Replies

van connick

• Experienced Member
  • Location: on a mountainside in south Wales. north of Pontypridd, west of Merthyr Tydfil.
passion flowers
« on: October 14, 2007, 06:16 »
hi guys

need a little advice here....

3 years ago i managed to grow 25 passion flowers from seed, i kept 6 and gave the others to family and friends.

all the ones i have planted here have done really well, with beautiful flowers and so many of them too, but none of them have fruits....not a single one. all the flowers just die off and there is nothing there. i was hoping to get fruits on them, because they are very attrative, plus i was going to dry them to grow some more plants.

any ideas why there are not producing them?

do you have to graph the mother plants? could that be the prob?

gobs

passion flowers
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 07:48 »
Hi, Van,

There are so many varieties, there might be several reasons why yours don't fruit. They flower late in the season on this climate to set good fruit.

You might be better of with cuttings. Take them nowish. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

van connick

• Experienced Member
  • Location: on a mountainside in south Wales. north of Pontypridd, west of Merthyr Tydfil.
passion flowers
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 17:54 »
doh....lol...i have never thought about taking cuttings off them.....

spose it would be a bit like taking cuttings from any climber?

gobs

passion flowers
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 18:36 »
Yope, very simple. :wink:

iannp

passion flowers
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 22:33 »
it is possible you can help produce fruit by making the female and male parts of the flower contact,  i did this once to a passion flower but i dont know which variety!  oh and it seemed to work
keep your fingers green!!!   ian

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Re: passion flowers
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 22:54 »
Quote from: "van connick"
hi guys

need a little advice here....

3 years ago i managed to grow 25 passion flowers from seed, i kept 6 and gave the others to family and friends.

all the ones i have planted here have done really well, with beautiful flowers and so many of them too, but none of them have fruits....not a single one. all the flowers just die off and there is nothing there. i was hoping to get fruits on them, because they are very attrative, plus i was going to dry them to grow some more plants.

any ideas why there are not producing them?

My neighbour always has a passion flower growing, though I think she's hacked a couple down over the years and put in a new plant.  Beautiful flowers that have appeared for years.  I never thought about fruit.  Until last year.  Quite a good few were produced.  The amount of sun and the high temperatures I would have thought.  It stood at mid thirties Celsius for a couple of weeks at least and was hot for many weeks, as the plant was coming into flower.  This year of course, not a bean, though the flowers are still on the plant.

xx
Passion flower

Started by Beetroot queen on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 20:29
by Beetroot queen
angry
passion flower

Started by single mum back to nature on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 20:06
by Yabba
xx
Passion Flower

Started by Markw on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 16:33
by muckyboots
xx
Passion fruit pruning help

Started by grinling on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 17:32
by grinling

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 28 queries.