When to sow seeds taken from garden flowers

• 3 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
When to sow seeds taken from garden flowers
« on: July 03, 2011, 10:23 »
Hi everyone
Over the years I have become obsessed about collecting seeds from my own garden (hubby does the cuttings) and have had great success to date with easy things like pansy, viola, petunia, marigold and busy lizzy seeds.

My question is this... what do you suggest for seeds taken now in June/July for flowers like Nautia? These lovely plants throw their seeds liberally around if you dont get to the heads in time and I presume they sit there till next year when new plants shoot up. Should I therefore sow the seeds I have managed to collect now and keep them in cold frame or save the seed and sow it next Spring?

I assume this is something that applies to lots of plants that self seed and have never known what to do.

Any suggestions please?
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: When to sow seeds taken from garden flowers
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 10:28 »
Save the seed and keep them until spring.

If you try the cold frame business, you'll end up with trays of plants to try and overwinter.

My opinion anyway, from a veg grower!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 10:46 »
If you have the room, sow straight away in seed trays. Finally into 4in pots (or bigger) to overwinter.
That way you will have much bigger plants ready for spring planting.............and they will probably flower next year :D

I've just ordered Delphinium, Purple Creeping Thyme, Penstemon and Veronica Blue Bouquet from Moles Seeds, and will be sowing them all soon :)

(because I grow veg, spring is a very busy time........so anything I can raise in the Autumn helps  ;) )

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 11:13 »
Thanks for replies - they both make sense  :)
I do have a little bit of space I can use to keep them overwinter - plus as we might be moving I am trying to take cuttings of favourite plants etc to take with us (if we ever find the right place  ::))

So stressful having to leave behind nearly 25 years of plants but we really need to find that place to retire to - if it exists! Smaller house - bigger garden - in or near a village where real people live. Having lived in a commuter village for all this time has been fairly depressing at times.
I'll take both your advice and keep some of the seeds safe and plant up some as well - Belt & Braces as my dear old Dad used to say.

xx
cottage garden seeds / rocket interlopers

Started by polly nator on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 20:07
by Trillium
xx
"Scattering seeds in garden"?

Started by Paulj on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 14:38
by Trillium
xx
wild meadow seeds/wildflower seeds

Started by trapper on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 17:15
by trapper
xx
cut flowers

Started by ecky on General Gardening

61 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 20:04
by noshed

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 29 queries.