climber to grow through dead hedge

• 8 Replies

mumof3

climber to grow through dead hedge
« on: May 07, 2011, 20:29 »
hi, i've got a griselinia littoralis hedge that has been dying off and is now dead, although its in our garden next door have said they don't want it removed  ??? so i've decided to grow a climber through it, i had a look around the garden centre today and have seen loads i like but i'm not sure what to go for so ideas and advice would be great. i'm thinking clematis montanna or a honeysuckle, not sure if thats a good choice though.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: climber to grow through dead hedge
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 21:35 »
My immediate thought was an evergreen clematis - but the one thing which I'd like to set my mind at rest about first, is whether the hedge will eventually become unsafe as a supporting structure as its roots rot down, and the clematis will become too heavy for it ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrscucumber

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 17:20 »
you could plant a wild clematis,very small white flowers,but the seed pods are like fluff balls when the flowers go.i have loads of these running through a hedge in my garden,if you would like some cuttings or small rooted plants,just pm me more than willing to help.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 17:54 »
down where you are I'd grow a solanum jasminoides

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 18:00 »
I would cut the hedge out and plant something living  :tongue2: to the neighbour.
Thanks
Kris

mumof3

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 20:12 »
thanks for replies, at the moment you can't see through the hedge due to a heavy covering of bindweed.today we did notice theres quite a few hawthorns growing in it (birds have helped with that one  :D ) we don't want to cut it down as we dont want to loose the privacy (even though its dead its so dense we can't see them) i'm thinking of putting stakes/posts just infront of it then wire between them and growing climbers on that, if the hedge rots down the posts/wire will support climbers.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 07:08 »
If you let the hawthorn grow through it and top it out at the height of the existing hedge it will fill out in time but you will find the hawthorn will head straight up for the light through the dead hedge.
If the neighbours really are that bad (mine are) runner beans might make a quick for summer fix with something else growing through too.

mobilekat

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 16:38 »
If you really want to cover the hedge well you could always plant an allopia baldschuanica
also known as Polygonum baldschuanicum- or Russian Vine/ mile a minute

it will definitely prevent anyone looking in- OK it does grow VERY fast and may eat your neighbours.....

But I would only suggest it if you have a machete, or a keen interest in keeping it trimmed!

For this year I would go for runner beans, sweet peas and enjoy the flowers!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

mumof3

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 17:27 »
just been out and had a look at the hedge-i can't see through it at all due to so much bindweed.never thought i'd be pleased to see that  :D its not the neighbours cos he works away all week and she's very quiet-its the grandkids, i just hate the foul language they use (they're ranging from 2-9 years, some off the words used i didn't know till my husband told me what they were  :blink: ) fab idea about runner beans and my kids love them.

xx
Is my hedge dead

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 05, 2011, 14:16
by compostqueen
xx
I want to grow a climber on front of my house

Started by pookey on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 03:46
by Trillium
xx
what hedge is suitable to grow next to a fence??

Started by starry on General Gardening

26 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 06:55
by Christine
xx
Climber for a big gap!

Started by wneva on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 15:22
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 29 queries.