Sweetpeas (again)

• 8 Replies

sloegin

• Experienced Member
Sweetpeas (again)
« on: August 01, 2010, 08:26 »
Morning all,
I know there was a post not long ago about sweetpeas.  But mine still haven't flowered. They're up to about the height of my hip. They look really healthy, lush green foilage etc As suggested i put tomato plant food on them. Friend told me they don't always bloom in the first year if thats the case i don't want to "waste" as such the tomato feed on them. Should i just keep watering & let them be??

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
Re: Sweetpeas (again)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 08:36 »
Hi, i have grown sweet peas too for the first time. mine have grown up to at least 30 or 40cm and one has given purple flowers. others have not flowered yet, guess it will take some time, hopefully not too long  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 08:43 »
ordinary sweetpeas only live for 1 year so definitely won't flower next year  :(
(Although you may have the perennial non scented kind ? )

So it is up to you really, if you think the tomato food is a waste, then just water and see if they flower in their own good time.

mobilekat

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 10:10 »
Mine have just reached 6 foot tall (yup I did pinch them out to make them bushier)
and finally there are some buds.....

I am hoping they are going to provide a wonderful mid August splash of colour and scent (or 3 flowers and give up!)

What type were yours? mine are Perfume delight SP02  from Tuckers. Not sure I will use the same ones next year, or will prob do more than one type to spread the flowering out!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

sloegin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 10:51 »
Thanks everyone  :)
 Got mine from seeds direct (ebay). It was one of the first things i grew from seed. I asked for scented ones will be able to find exactly in my ebay history

Ok just looked they're Heirloom America
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 10:54 by sloegin »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 11:40 »
They're annuals so no flowers next year :(

Spana

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 21:09 »
Mine were sown really late and are about 4ft  now.  They have only had a couple of flowers on so far but are loaded with buds.  Have another closer look and see if the flower buds are coming :) If they look healthy I'm sure they will flower and we'll both have flowers when everyone else has pulled theirs up :tongue2: :lol:

sloegin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 22:58 »
Mine were sown really late and are about 4ft  now.  They have only had a couple of flowers on so far but are loaded with buds.  Have another closer look and see if the flower buds are coming :) If they look healthy I'm sure they will flower and we'll both have flowers when everyone else has pulled theirs up :tongue2: :lol:

Hi Spana, i have been looking closely. I go out to have a look, i think they're flower buds then they unfurl into a leaves!
Think i'll leave them for a week or so i'll just water them a bit see what happens  ;)

diggerjoe

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 14:08 »
I had a job keeping up with mine at the plot and they have now gone to seed. I shall trim them in the hope that they might manage a second flush of blooms but this year they were dissapointing.

xx
sweetpeas

Started by tulsalady on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 16:09
by tulsalady
xx
sweetpeas

Started by DadBear on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2007, 18:35
by jackiestagg
xx
sweetpeas

Started by meggymoo on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 21:03
by chrissie B
xx
Sweetpeas

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

25 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 21:11
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 29 queries.