Hens dying - urgent advice please!

• 12 Replies

lisacj

Hens dying - urgent advice please!
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:01 »
Hi all,
I have 10 beutiful hens (3 bantams and a mix of others) who are about 4-5 years old now. Two weeks ago, I lost my favourite hen - she was a full size 'mongrel' who semmed perfectly fine one day, then just went lethargic, closed her eyes and peacefully passed away in my arms the next! I put it down to 'one of those things' - there was not  mark on her, and she wasn't thin or have lice or mites. However, this morning, one of my bantams was doing exactly the same thing and has also died. She was fine yesterday - in fact she was brooding some eggs with her other bantam friend. Have I just been unlucky or is there something sinister going on? All the other hens seem fine, are eating/laying, and I can't see anything dodgy in the droppings. I haven't changed the food at all - the only thing I did notice was that yesterday morning there was a daed mouse in the run (they don't free range because of where I live) and one of its legs had gone - has my bantam poisoned itself??
Please help!
Thank you

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Re: Hens dying - urgent advice please!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:09 »
sorry to hear about your girlies,   have you kept up to date with their worming, just a thought,   i dont think a mouse would have posioned your girl.           nicky
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Trisha

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:18 »
Sorry to hear this.  Personally I would call the vet and ask if you can bring them in for a check up. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:21 »
it could be an age thing, whilst some will go on until they reach 10 years old most do not and can die from 3 onwards  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

lisacj

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:26 »
Thanks so much for your messages everyone. I've just got off the phone from the farmer I bought my girls from, and (after cross questioning me on everything from diet to predators) he reckons it's an age thing (they are almost 5) because there are absolutely no other symptoms. He's going to have a look at them to check I've not missed anything, but I'm reassured that I don't have a nasty bug sweeping thorugh my flock. He also agreed that the mouse wouldn't have poisoned them.
You guys on this forum are jus the best! So helpful and fast with your replies - thanks so much
xxx

Trisha

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:42 »
I'm glad that you managed to talk to someone and that he will check them over for you if need be.  Best wishes to you and your chooks x

lisacj

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 09:55 »
Thanks Trisha xx

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 10:58 »
Really sorry to hear about your poor hens.

I had heard that hens live until approximatley 4 years old. Maybe it is just their time! Maybe there was a very mild illness or a hot/cold day or something that triggered them to die close together? Or maybe they were friends and the second missed her friend.

It sounds like they are very lucky hens who have had the best chickeny life with you any way!

Bev

lisacj

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 11:54 »
Ah - what a lovely thing to say - thanks so much Bev
xxx

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 13:23 »
Hope you get to the bottom of what's going on.  Hybrid hens like warrens and skylines can live 4 - 5 years, but pure breeds can live considerably longer.

Although it does sound like an age thing, I would suggest checking for red mite in your hen house as a bad infestation can kill or severely weaken chickens through loss of blood.  If you have never checked for them before there is loads of guidance on this fab forum about the evil red mite!

Mad chicken woman

lisacj

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 13:31 »
Thanks sarah - have just been out to check and can't see any red mite (I checked the poorly chook a couple of weeks ago - no red mites, and none on the one this morning either). They are hybrids though, so maybe it's just their time  :(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 23:23 »
The commercial hybrids were only developed to live for 2 years, as they are usually culled before then by the farms, so your girls have had a lovely life and unfortunately are reaching the end of it.

Whereas the other week, Hillfooter had to put his favourite Light Sussex down at 12 years old! 

lisacj

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 09:52 »
Thanks GrannieAnnie, that's really kind of you :)

thumbdown
Urgent help hens dying!!!!

Started by Asaunders on The Hen House

37 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 10:29
by matilda duck
xx
Dying hens

Started by Diddy Gardener on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 18:01
by ghost61
xx
hens dying

Started by flea on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 01, 2010, 20:01
by bantam novice
xx
Dying Hens

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 12:16
by woodburner

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 36 queries.