asparagus at last!

• 12 Replies

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
asparagus at last!
« on: March 31, 2010, 22:06 »
Having waited patiently for 2 years for my asparagus to mature I'm really excited at the sight, today, of a few spears poking through. This is it's 3rd year (from seed). My question is do I need to cover/mulch it over with the weather being so foul? Or is it hardy enough to withstand whatever comes in the next few days/weeks? Can't wait to eat some :tongue2:....must look up some recipes.........thanks!
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

MoreWhisky

Re: asparagus at last!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 22:13 »
mines poked it head up to and i also was wondering fi this cold spell will harm them????
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 22:15 »
No need to mulch, particularly if you get a lot of rain through most of the year. Asparagus can tolerate some drought but does appreciate watering if needed.

We never worry about our asparagus during cold spells but if it makes you feel better, you could fleece it for the night.

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 22:18 »
Ah.........thanks Trillium. That's a nice idea but my allotment is 10mins walk away and I'm already in my jimjams!! 

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 22:20 »
Wouldn't worry about them then. They're really quite tough as they're up even before strawberries which are tough plants.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 07:21 »
Well I think mine has all died (again). So that makes 60 crowns over 2 years deeeeeeed. Guess I'm not cut out for growing asparagus :)

Pompey Spud

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 08:22 »
Out of interest SG. What do you thinks gone wrong so I don't replicate your 'winning' techniques.  ;)

This will be my beds second year. Fingers crossed.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 08:56 »
Ha... god knows. I followed the "how to" to the letter but I just don't know what it is. They just shrivel up and die. I might just not be blessed with the asparagus green fingers..!! :(

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 18:57 »
I used to go through a lot of asparagus crowns until I started doing this trick: The actual planting area should be trenched or individual holes dug large. Mound a good hill of sharp sand in the middle of the hole or planting sites in the trench, set the crown on the sand mound and spread out the roots (yes, this is necessary), then gently fill with a sandy mix of soil with a bit of manure and bonemeal added. The crown top should sit only about an inch below the surface, water often until you see signs of growth then they can fend for themselves.
Asparagus crowns are VERY susceptible to rotting and by keep the crown itself high and dry on the sand mound, you should have 100% success (unless your plot is in a flood plain  ;))

Pompey Spud

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 22:55 »
*!!

Think i planted mine too deep.

It did say 6/12 inches on the instructions that came with them.

Just see how the 2nd year goes.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 00:40 »
I used to plant mine deeper but now I get better results, although I do need to mulch a bit in very dry periods, which is okay as I get a good cropping.

Eumaeus

• The Island Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 09:25 »
I finally planted some asparagus crowns last year - ws so proud to finally get them in the ground.  But the flipping hens have had them out of the ground three times over the winter!  >:(  I replanted them, but I don't have any high hopes that I will be feasting just yet  :(

Eumaeus
Amateurs - built the Ark

Professionals?  They built the titanic

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 14:42 »
Here's the perfect use for poultry fencing. Make a simple fence with 2x2's and poultry fencing around the asparagus plot so the little so-and-so's can't get at them. In a few years time the roots will be large and established enough that you'd need a jack to pull them out, so the fencing could then come out....unless your hens are partial to fresh greens  ::)

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
Asparagus.........again

Started by Wavertree Red on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2014, 16:27
by Wavertree Red

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 31 queries.