Urgent help hens dying!!!!

• 37 Replies

poppies

Re: Urgent help hens dying!!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 21:18 »
Hi this morning I found 6 of my birds with their eyes closed gasping for breath, I phoned the vet who told me to bring a couple down. they have sinusitus, and have been put on antibiotics all 200+ of them as it is very contagious,

apparently it can be caught several ways including from wild birds or from the parent bird through the egg,  it cost me £43 for the whole lot which was'nt as bad as  I thought it might be

other signs can be bubbly or crusty eyes, runny nose and sneezing

nzdunn

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 23:33 »
sorry to hear of that, i hope they get better for you, my girls were on antibiotics, i only have 3, how do you manage to dose 200 birds :ohmy:  nickyx

poppies

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2009, 05:22 »
sorry to hear of that, i hope they get better for you, my girls were on antibiotics, i only have 3, how do you manage to dose 200 birds :ohmy:  nickyx

luckily in their water,  I had visions of having to do them all seperately

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2009, 23:19 »
Sounds like Mycoplasma to me.
See it all the time, closing my flock off now because it seems almost imposible to find birds that don't have Coryza or Myco.

See so many birds with it as auctions:(
Also people buying commercial layers don;t realise that some are immunised with a LIVE virus so whilst they won't get ill themselves they will carry the virus and can infect non immunised birds.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 01:51 »
Sounds like myco to me too, but didn't like to say being new to disease & no expert.

Very interesting point Hensington, I didn't know that re live vaccines.
(but I know very little about poultry disease as never had sick hens before - problems were rare when I kept hens in the past apart from the odd egg-bound girl - but diseases now seem rife?!)

Do you know the name of the live vacc?

My first lot were given MG 6/85 spray for myco G - one of them has always sneezed, but no other symptoms and is fine. She's late colouring up & laying, though. I've often wondered re all her sneezing.
I'm particularly interested as I lost 2 (unvaccinated) youngsters to myco recently, and the 3rd is fine but sneezes - a carrier maybe.

Any further info plz, Hensington? Would be very interested.

Foxy

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009, 09:49 »
The vaccine is produced by Intervet (Schering -Plough) a large pharma company, I think its the preferred vaccine at the mo. ;)

nzdunn

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2009, 10:00 »
i was wondering how long does it take birds to get over the sneezes.   My three were on a five day baytril course, there symptoms were not serious just a bit of a runny nostril and odd sneezing but thought better to be safe than sorry.   They never went of laying, combs have always stayed bright red and there appeitites never went either, they finished there baytril 11 days ago and one is still doing the odd sneeze but nostrils remain clear, any thoughts.  nickyx

matilda duck

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2009, 10:29 »
Asaunders I'm just playing catch up!   You put a post on yesterday saying you wanted to introduce new stock in and around the Staffordshire area!  I pm'd you to tell you a great place!
Would it not be better to sort this stock out first and sort out problems BEFORE introducing NEW stock????
I now feel guilty as more birds could get infected! :(

xx
Hens dying - urgent advice please!

Started by lisacj on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 09:52
by lisacj
xx
Dying hens

Started by Diddy Gardener on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 18:01
by ghost61
xx
hens dying

Started by flea on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 01, 2010, 20:01
by bantam novice
xx
Dying Hens

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 12:16
by woodburner

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 36 queries.