Nemesia and Ostiospermum (sp?)

• 12 Replies

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Nemesia and Ostiospermum (sp?)
« on: August 26, 2009, 20:44 »
My window boxes have Nemesia and Ostiospermum in them and will shortly need to be re-planted because they are looking a bit scraggley.

They've both been lovely plants, what should i do with them now? If i plant them straight out into the garden, what sort of conditions?

Should i pot them up and keep them in the greenhouse?

Thanks
Liv.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Nemesia and Ostiospermum (sp?)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 21:11 »
I'm pretty sure that Nemesias are annuals, so the compost bin for those :(

Pot up the Osteospermums, give them a bit of a trim, keep them fairly dry in the greenhouse. I left mine outside last winter and lost them all :(, so can't recommend doing that, although I know that some people were luckier with theirs :unsure:

DavidT

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 20:35 »
As well as the half hardy Nemesias there are also perrenials such as n. Confetti. :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 20:44 »
As well as the half hardy Nemesias there are also perrenials such as n. Confetti. :D
So there are ::) just found them  :).....but some of the gumph says they are still tender perennials, so probably best under glass for the winter, same as the osteos

Spana

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 20:49 »
Yes, I have ' confetti ' and its left out all year, its a lovely plant.  If the Osteospermums are the bog standard colour they tend to be hardier than the more modern and fancy colours.  Do you know which you have?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 21:05 »
You are a tad warmer than most of us in Cornwall though Spana...don't know how you would compare with the Wicklow Mountains climate wise :unsure:

DavidT

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 21:21 »
Nemesia also overwinters well here too. I have to say, the scent of Confetti is superb.

Ruby Red

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 08:05 »

I had an Osteospermum for 10 years growing in an enclosed courtyard. I trimmed it back hard every year and it thrived. I suppose if you have a sheltered spot you will be fine.  :)
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 13:40 »
Thanks all for your help.

My Osteos are white with purple undersides, i assume these are the regular ones, as they are the colour i'm used to seeing.

Leslie, you are certainly right, my climate is certainly nothing like Cornwall (If only it was! sigh!)

I'll google my Nemesia (Candy Girl) and see if it's a perrenial.

Out of the boxes and potted up in the greenhouse sounds about right. They can go back in the window boxes next spring!

Thanks again.

sclarke624

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 22:11 »

I had an Osteospermum for 10 years growing in an enclosed courtyard. I trimmed it back hard every year and it thrived. I suppose if you have a sheltered spot you will be fine.  :)

My osteospermums were fine for years until last winter, that really done for them.  So if its precious put it away in your greenhouse.

My nemesia kept ok but it grew straggly the following years, bit like allysum gets when kept year after year.

PS Galliarda are big bold and beautiful every year.  Dwarf ones.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 22:16 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Spana

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 13:24 »
 My nemesia kept ok but it grew straggly the following years, bit like allysum gets when kept year after year.

I give mine a hair cut mid-season, when the flowering stems are showing a bit of length.  I cut them back quite hard and it shoots out  and is flowering again within weeks.
Last year i needed them all to look good at the end of Sept.  So 1st Sept they were all cut back hard, for the second time that year. By 28th they were a mass of flowers even that late in the year. I have plants of Confetti round the edges of 6 big half barrels and they save a lot of time and money as they come back year after year.

sclarke624

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 13:29 »

I give mine a hair cut mid-season, when the flowering stems are showing a bit of length.  I cut them back quite hard and it shoots out  and is flowering again within weeks.

Useful info thanks Works ermmm! I mean Spana.  I should have known that babys breath is the same.  I have heard you can do that to busy lizzie as well but can't bring myself to chop their heads off.

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 12:59 »
I understand that Nemesia is an annual.  If the osteospernum is the white form then this will be fine in the garden over the winter months.  I give mine a hard chop in the Spring and they come up fresher and better than leaving them leggy.  The other colours I lose here in Shropshire over the winter so I treat those as annuals.  It is worth a try trimming them down to a pair of buds and repotting them in the greenhouse.

xx
Nemesia

Started by Plot 6B on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 19:29
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 29 queries.