sexing pekins

• 8 Replies

Lisalou

sexing pekins
« on: August 16, 2009, 17:09 »
Im trying to sex three pekins at seven weeks all have combs and wattles does that mean they are definate cocks even though two have paler tips to there combs and smaller wattles and one has a darker wobblier wattle and comb at this age would they have no combs at all if hens ? grateful for any help. :blink:

poppies

Re: sexing pekins
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 17:26 »
Hi
     cant be sure without seeing them,  but sounds like 2 hens and a cockerel as the cockerel will redden up before the hens

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 19:35 »

Hi, I find Pekins quite easy to sex, Here is Boots a frizzle girl, and underneath is Little Dan a boy Pekin/Sablepoot cross, he was redder much earlier.
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

Lisalou

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 20:11 »
The picture I used for my profile is of one of the paler combs I have tried adding photos but I keep getting an error x

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 20:38 »
i have 2 lemon cuckoo pekins that are 7 weeks old today, the boy has a large red comb and wattles and the girl has a tiny comb and wattles which is still sort of yellow! i also have three 4 wk old lavender pekins and 2 are definately boys and 1 is a girl!
I did hatch 3 millifluer pekins earlier this year and i too thought 2 had slightly paler combs but were just as big! turned out i had hatched 3 boys  :( as girls wouldnt show comb developement this early (only from my lemon pekin experience!)
If you like i will take pics tomorrow to show you, but i would say you have 3 boys  ???

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 21:11 »
sometimes when you take out the obvious male, the next in line for the throne will develop quicker. the girls do grow small comb and wattles, but they dont pink up so early, and they kind of reach a point of development and stop, whereas the boys' continue growing to be quite bigger. They are quite easy to sex early on, unlike dratted silkies and Araucanas. ::)
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 21:47 »
Just been and taken some pics! excuse their little petrified faces but they had gone to bed already!

my lemon cuckoo pekins now 8 weeks old
GIRL

BOY

lavender pekins now 4 weeks old
GIRL

BOY

Hope this helps a little

Debbie

Lisalou

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 08:30 »
Im ever so grateful I think you have just confirmed that I have 3 cocks they are soo tame its a real shame as I already have two breeding pairs The scots grey bantams were very easy the cocks have massive combs and no combs for the little girls at a very young age and the boys are lighter we have 3 boys and two girls with more eggs hatching soon, my neighbour told me you cant put bantams cocks to normal chickens they dont mate and you dont get fertilised eggs am I dumb at thinking they do or is she nuts and would the offspring be barren? 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:41 by Lisalou »

danmegal

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 09:40 »
my neighbour told me you cant put bantams cocks to normal chickens they dont mate and you dont get fertilised eggs am I dumb at thinking they do or is she nuts and would the offspring be barren? 
                                                                                                                                           My bantam cockerel successfully mated with my 2 large hens (hybrids) and I am now the proud owner of 3 mongrel chicks! Wouldn't be letting them breed even if they could but I hope my little girlie lays me some eggs but will prob have to wait a while for that result!

xx
Pekins

Started by Kezza on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 22:24
by Kezza
xx
Tell me about Pekins. x

Started by clairebeau on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 12:31
by chickenlady
xx
Pop Hole for Pekins

Started by Belinda on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 21:59
by Belinda
clip
Perching Pekins

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 17:31
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 34 queries.