Tell me about Pekins. x

• 4 Replies

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
Tell me about Pekins. x
« on: June 07, 2009, 09:10 »
Hello fellow chicken lovers.  I'm wanting a few more for my flock and think I have my heart set on a few pekin girls.  Are there any pekin lovers out there who would enjoy 'selling' the breed to me? Do differant colours have differant temperaments? Keep up the good work on here by the way, I love it! x
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

peachesandclive

Re: Tell me about Pekins. x
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 09:44 »
Hi
We added a Lavender Pekin to our flock of three regular hens and one silver laced bantam. She is the most docile and friendly chicken we have ever owned. We have 8 in the run at the moment, three of which are 12 week old Polish Bantams (and completely mad). The Pekin took quite a while to settle in as she is so laid back that she wouldn't run from the others when they pecked her. One of the big hens took such a dislike to her that she pecked her to the point of bleeding, we had to remove her from the run and keep them separated for a few weeks. We then used anti peck products and put a plastic beak bit on the offending big hen. She is now well established in the flock and only gets the occasional peck, but nothing as bad as before.
She is a lovely chicken, she will happily sit on the children's laps, she comes up to you as if to say 'hi'. I would highly recommend the lavender Pekin, they also look beautiful!
She lays small pale eggs, about 2 every 3 days.
Hope this helps,
Peachesandclive

poppies

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 11:33 »
Hi we have lavender, lemon cuckoo, silver partridge, gold partridge,mottled, cuckoo, white, black, millfleur,and a blue which does'nt breed true but are so cute we keep them any, they are all lovely little characters, tame    most will let you pick them up, never had any trouble with the cockerals, except the cuckoo who does'nt like you touching his lady, they  make lovely pets but are a bit addictive

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 12:01 »
Well that does it, I'm off to find some! Thank you. x

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 12:31 »
I have 11 pekin eggs in the incubator! 3 millifluer and 8 lemon cuckoo!  :D am keeping fingers crossed as my 1st look were all infertile!

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xx
Pekins

Started by Kezza on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 22:24
by Kezza
xx
Pop Hole for Pekins

Started by Belinda on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 21:59
by Belinda
clip
Perching Pekins

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 17:31
by ANHBUC
question
sexing pekins

Started by Lisalou on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 09:40
by danmegal

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 34 queries.