Pecking Problem

• 35 Replies

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
Re: Pecking Problem
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 21:38 »
I have the Purple Spray now and the pecked chickens have Purple bums so that makes 'Sage' ....... 'Purple Sage' now! doesnt it!  ::) the Bluebelle 'Blue' is sprayed aswell they didnt seem to mind ............... strange thing was when the chicken that I saw pecking the bums  'Parsley'(on closer inspection) also has a pecked bum  ??? so she was Purpled aswell !!!!!!!!!

I have introduced her back and we will see tomorrow  ::)  collective bum pecking .......... its not like they have nothing to do they get my total devotion ... toys the lot  ..... this started about a week ago aswell sooooooooooooooooooooooo maybe it is something to do with spring????

Chickens who'd have em! :tongue2:

Trina
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 21:49 »
As some of you know, I've recently lost some of our Babcock chicks to pecking, and I mentioned this to Simon our meat chick breeder, and he said that multi vitamins might help too.  He has some cockerals who seem to start feather pecking when they are about 16 weeks old, and some of the pecked ones just seem to take it then lay down and die, which is what these chicks did!  But although the chicks had plenty to keep them occupied in the house, they wouldn't go out in the snow, and I think they were getting bored with what was in the house ie straw bale and CD's the occasional cabbage hanging,.  But now the snow has gone and more and more are coming out into the run, they have stopped.

However, our 'friends' down the road asked me to look at their Amberlinks who are from the same hatching as the ones Rob and Julie have.  We popped down there today.  haven't been down their place for some months.  WEll...... these hens look like ex battery hens!!!!  One had a prolapse poor little girl and 4 of the others are not only bald, but looked tall and VERY thin.  One of them had a thick line of calcium full poop down her bum all dried on.  They look nearly bald.  

Then while I was talking to 'him', Brian saw 'her', feeding them.  What are you doing he asked.  Giving them their feed.  It was in an ice cream tub, but I don't know what size tub it was.  the feeder was empty apart from this bit she put in there and the birds swooped on it like they were starving.  She told Brian they give the girls a tub of pellets in the morning, then early afternoon their corn and fruit and veg, then another tub of pellets in the afternoon, but when I sold them the hens I told them to feed them pellets adlib, with a few treats and corn late afternoon.   But I've just thought, we saw them at 12.30 lunchtime, so if that was the morning feed, no wonder they were starving!

So its obvious the poor thngs are pecking each other to get some goodness!  Brian was really angry with them and I told them to go and get some poultry spice and add to their feed and brian told them to fill the feeder up and keep it full, but I think they are having problems making ends meet, so the chooks suffer!  God knows how long a bag of pellets lasts them, months I should think.  I took a few photo's on my phone, but I can't put them on this computer and my other one is waitig for my little study to be re-decorated before it goes back in there and gets plugged in again!

Brian's just told me, it wasn't an ice cream tub she used, it was a small butter tub!  No wonder they are pecking each other!!  We gave them a bag of mash this afternoon which Brian bought cheap, but we don't use it!!!

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 22:05 »
Oh Poor things! we have trouble making ends meet sometimes but the animals dont suffer for it, I only have 4 chickens - perhaps this lady should only have what she can afford?.......

Like I said we only have the 4 and they have it all and I am still having to contend with the feather (bum) pecking!!:mad:

oh well will see how we go with the Purple bums.  ::)

Trina

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 22:11 »
My chuks get ad-lib pellets and at the moment are eating twice as much as normal.  These poor things must be starving that you mention.  A quiet word in their ear is needed I think given this info or even direct talking as this verges on neglect.  If any one owns an animal, no matter how small,  they must feed correctly or animal suffers.  If no action is taken the  only choice you have is to report to the authourities.  Not fair that animals suffer because of lack of funds.  Help is only a phone call away if they cannot afford any more.  I feel strongly about this and always have.  If they don't get what they need they will be slowly starving and with birds the feathers hide weight loss very easily.
mrs.ploppy

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 22:16 »
Personally I've found that sometimes the purple works, sometimes it doesn't Trina.  But I also use cheap petroleum jelly with some liquid paraffin mixed in.  But as that's not as easy to get now, other people swear by tea tea cream, and I've got some tea tree oil that I can mix in with the jelly and another person said to mix baby oil in with the jelly, but I've not tried that one yet.  We'll have to wait to see how poultrygeists stockholm tar is, because I've never tried that but have heard both good and bad things about it.

Pecking is very worrying, especially when it leads to death.

Here's a bit about if from DEFRA

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/pdf/featherpecking.pdf

Brian didn't have a 'quiet' word I'm afraid Mrs ploppy, he's not as diplomatic as me!  He ws very angry, after all, I'd raised those chooks from a day old and it ws awful to see them like that. 

the husband did kill the one with the bad prolapse this aftenoon. my brian offered to do it for him, as I think it's cruel to let them run around like that, and as has been said before, a prolapse is likely to keep returning.

And yes, our lot are eating a lot more than normal too at the moment.  Getting through nearly 40kgs a day!!!!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 22:18 by GrannieAnnie »

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 22:28 »
Glad to hear they took some notice of your hubby but if things do not improve then direct action is the only way I think.  Sometimes people can be thick skinned, nieve or plain dumb.  I know you can do all things and still have the feather plucking but there can be no excuse for not feeding correctly.  It is a form of neglect.  Good to know you have your eye on these animals and are there for advice.  Perhaps even offer to take some off their hands or rehome for them if they are struggling?  depending on your cercumstances of coarse.  Don't ask, don't get as they say.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 22:38 »
It was me they bought them from Mrs P!  But as i knew they had never kept chooks before, I gve them all the info, and told them to feed the chooks adlib, and only give a few treats in the afternoon and corn a couple of hours before bed, but in all the 'fun' of their new veg box selling business, I think the chooks are beng ignored.  she calls them her 'babies', well I hope she didn't treat her own 'babies' like that!!!

Late last year I even asked if they wanted to take on my older girls as I wanted my laying flock to be hens from the same hatching, but they said no as they would be so upset if there were fights, as they are so soppy about their chooks, and also if they'd taken on anymore, they'd have to buy more feed, but then they are moaning about not having enough eggs to sell!!!

I can't win!!!

Oh he did buy some poultry spice this afternoon, then complained that it cost him over £6!!!

Caralou

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 10:40 »
I suspect my madame was getting bored even with the toys in the run, today no problems they are free ranging and terrorising the garden and cats! They always have pellets left over so I hope that with more space and me letting them free range more the problems should stop. One of the girls has got a bare bum bless her so I've had to go for the tea tree option until I can get some of the purple spray. Must admit the birds do smell  lovely this morning  :nowink:

I agree that no matter how tight money is animals should never suffer. And for value for money my birds already pay for their feed in their eggs so what more can you want??? The more feed the more eggs and the better value. I've only got the three but have got through nearly a third the 25 bag in 8 days along with corn and scraps, not sure if thats an awful lot, but they are eating it (and so are the cats for some strange reason...) so if they want more they get more!

I'm trying to get more photos now they are exploring, but my digi camera has died  :( They do seem a lot happeir now though.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 13:29 »
Oh I'm pleased your girls seem a little happier now Cara!  Hopefully, with more food and the poultry spice, these poor chooks down the road will start to put on a bit of weight and get their feathers back!     

poultrygeist

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 14:11 »
I'm going to give the protein theory a try also. We should be able to get some netting to let them have a wander shortly too (keep saying it  ::)) so fingers crossed.
Hurry up and get a camera Cara. We NEED photos !!!  :D

Rob 8)

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 17:38 »
why on earth do people name their chickens? you'll only get upset when they cark it.

Caralou

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 17:39 »
I'll also get upset when my cats and rabbits die, but that's no reason not to name them. What a silly point  :ohmy:!!!

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 17:49 »
secretly your pets have named you too.

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 19:50 »
Of course they have named me! They love me - I bring food!

Why shouldn't they have names? We only have 8 even though we have lots of space because there's only so many eggs we can use or give away and I am always mindful of the fact that we are responsible for their health and wellbeing even if you are rearing for meat. I'm sure I read somewhere that ill treatment even through ignorance is still illegal.

Vember

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 20:25 »
why on earth do people name their chickens? you'll only get upset when they cark it.

Don't see the relevance to this post upert?

Some people name their birds, some people name their cars, some people talk to plants  :wacko:

Does it really matter?

The post is asking for help and advice on hens pecking each other!

Sarah :)

xx
Pecking problem

Started by PKennedy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2018, 06:34
by Mr R Design
xx
Pecking Problem........

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 18:09
by Tony H
xx
pecking problem

Started by emotion-2003 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 21:14
by bantam novice
xx
Big feather pecking problem

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 12, 2008, 22:42
by sunshinemedic

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 34 queries.