Speckled shell

• 11 Replies

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Speckled shell
« on: February 21, 2009, 10:26 »
Hello all
One of the chooks is laying a specked shell it is light brown ( Normal ) But with white specles on that has been going on for a bout two week's. is there somthing missing out the diet or is it just one of those things

Jim
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 22:22 by Ice »
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

shiatsusu

Re: Specked shell
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:36 »
We've got the same thing, although it isn't everyday. I haven't been able to find info on it so would be interested in everyone's thoughts too  ;)

Vember

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:44 »
Are the speckles of white raised like little nobbles or as the shell?
If they are raised then it could be extra calcium deposits - I get this from a couple of my older girls every so often.

Rob has put a link in the following thread to an article by Katie Thear about egg colour :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=31134.msg373079#msg373079

Sarah :)

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 15:03 »
We've got the same thing, although it isn't everyday. I haven't been able to find info on it so would be interested in everyone's thoughts too  ;)

no all are smooth i will try and take a photo

jim

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 15:57 »

no all are smooth i will try and take a photo

jim

It could be that the pigment -added to the shell,which has been laid unevenly

shiatsusu

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 18:48 »
Ours aren't bumpy lumps. Some days the top is speckled white, the next day the whole egg is lovely uniform brown.   ???

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 20:58 »
This can be normal for eggs to look like this and it can vary from day to day and hen to hen.  I can usually tell who layed what from the collour and type of speckling on the egg.  There can be quite a variation.  As long as the speckles are not bumpy and raised then this is normal.  Changes can occur through age and development of the hen in my experience.  Just the laying down of pigmentation.
mrs.ploppy

shiatsusu

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 10:36 »
We only have one laying at the mo so it's always same hen, but she's only been laying a few weeks so I think the maturing thing is probably pertinent- also perhaps changes in diet? Here's a pic of two of her eggs laid on consecutive days, one very speckled the other barely speckled at all -
speckly eggs.jpg

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 21:09 »
See, totally normal.  It's the yummy bit inside that's important!!

shiatsusu

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 22:18 »
Amazing how different they can be tho Mrs P- does it settle down to something more uniform in your experience? Last time I kept chooks was years ago and I was a small person then so can't remember!  ???

Brambles

Re: Speckled shell
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 22:30 »
My Ex Batt, Bertha, gave me eggs with lumpy ended shells last year.   She has been laying again for a few weeks now, and her eggs are smooth as silk (tasty too!!)  Wondered if, as I only got her last summer from local farm and she was in a barn all day, if her diet and fresh air has made better shells!

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Re: Speckled shell
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 22:43 »
I think yes it does tend to.  Each colouration seems to be unique to each hen although you can get the odd egg now and again.  Some have lumps and bumps or just a bit misshaped.  you will not see these in the shops though as these are usually kept for the commercial catering or production of food stuff at a low price. Thats why we hobby people find them so strange but they do exist.  As long as your hen does not show any adverse effects from laying the odd shapped egg I would not worry at all.  Like I said, it's whats inside that counts.

My boyfriend says the speckles are 'where they have decorating and made a mess'.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 22:49 by mrs.ploppy »

xx
My first Speckled hen

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 20, 2016, 11:06
by danfinn1
xx
Speckled Eggs

Started by littlewitch on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 23:23
by viettaclark
xx
Speckled Sussex hatching eggs?

Started by kegs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 18:07
by kegs
xx
Speckled and groovy coloured eggs

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 14:22
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 36 queries.