Am I wasting my money?

• 20 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Am I wasting my money?
« on: October 29, 2008, 20:05 »
Well the veg year is over for me and I have fenced the ducks into the veg patch to give the lawn a break. When I say lawn, I mean bog.

My plan is to throw down some grass seed to give it a bit of a boost but the pack says sow from march to oct (begining). Now given that I don't think this cold snap will last, even if I am right, is it just too late to bother and should I wait till spring?

It would be nice to get rid of the quagmire :oops:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Am I wasting my money?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 20:08 »
I'd risk doing it now especially if you could cover with fleece. If you can stab it all over with a fork then brush sand over so it goes down the holes. Then sow. It will help with the drainage a little.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Kate and her Ducks

Am I wasting my money?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 20:09 »
Sounds good to me. Job for the weekend sorted so I'm happy :lol:

Christine

Am I wasting my money?
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 20:14 »
If you get a nice covering of snow for a few days afterwards it will keep the area warm and allow the soil underneath to drain. Funny idea but it seems to work.

poultrygeist

Am I wasting my money?
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 23:24 »
Supposed to warm up again after tomorrow here. Prob the same for you too. Going up to 10/12 deg in the day and about 6/8 at night.

Showers coming and going. Should just get away with it. :D

Especially with all that duck poo enrichign the soil. :wink:

Rob

Knight Family

Am I wasting my money?
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 01:34 »
Quote from: "Christine"
If you get a nice covering of snow for a few days afterwards it will keep the area warm and allow the soil underneath to drain. Funny idea but it seems to work.

Christene, we dont get snow in liverpool and if we do the rest of the country is about 25ft deep! Kate I plan to do mine over the weekend once I've cleaned up the leaves from my oak tree.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Trillium

Am I wasting my money?
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 21:40 »
Grass actually prefers cool weather to grow and sprout so now is the ideal time as Richy says. It also likes it wet to germinate so either snow or an imminent rain are good times to fling it out there.

Salmo

Am I wasting my money?
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 23:57 »
I think you are too late and it will not germinate. Could be wrong if we have a warm spell.

I also think that if you rest it from ducks you may be pleasantly surprised at how the grass recovers by itself.

Keep off it and look again in the Spring.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Am I wasting my money?
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 06:01 »
I agree its too late for grass now and if you do get any seedlings the next frost will kill them off.  You will be suprised at how quickly the area will recover come the spring.

mrs bouquet

Am I wasting my money?
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 11:26 »
Hi Kate, I think you've got to give it a try, I think some will germinate as Trillium says.  Then any patches or thickening up, you can do in spring.
Mind you I don't know how big your lawn is and therefore I suppose we have to consider the cost involved if it all fails !!  If you do it now, let us know what results you have.  Good luck.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Trillium

Am I wasting my money?
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 17:20 »
Actually, frost will not kill any sprouting grass seedlings; the ground level they're in and surrounding greenery will protect them and it's mostly the roots burrowing into the ground first rather than a lush top growth.

Kate and her Ducks

Am I wasting my money?
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 18:41 »
Well I bunged it down the other day so it is now just a case of watching and waiting.

Thanks for all the advice 8)

mrs bouquet

Am I wasting my money?
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 22:55 »
Good luck Kate,  Mrs Bouquet, let us know how you get on.

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
Am I wasting my money?
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 14:27 »
Quote from: "mrs bouquet"
Good luck Kate,  Mrs Bouquet, let us know how you get on.

every time I read one of your posts I think you are referring to Mrs bouquet as the original poster lol... and this one did me in completely
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

mrs bouquet

Am I wasting my money?
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 14:46 »
Sorry to john barnes for causing confusion, I should signed off at the very end.    Mrs Bouquet

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 28 queries.