Bamboo nightmares

• 7 Replies

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
Bamboo nightmares
« on: June 25, 2008, 09:50 »
we have 5 bamboo plants in pots(large pots) they are a real struggle-  between the yellow leaves and the mess they make on the patio  :x   I'm at my wits end.  Is this a normal way they behave-  or am I doing something wrong?  I water-fertilize and water more- sometimes I think I water to much- sometimes I think I water to little- I just don't know what to do anymore.  Last night my husband said " lets get rid of them" which I don't want to do as they screen the alley next to our house.  Any bamboo experts out there I'd like to hear from you.

desperate :roll:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Bamboo nightmares
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 10:10 »
Im not expert, but I have (3ft) bamboo also in a large pot (golden) next to my pond and OMG yeas it makes a mess.  Last week in the winds it left a real mess in my pond.  Ive been netting it out for days!! I also feed and water it regularly, but its depending on the variety it can't be helped. I do think from now on I will cut out the older canes and that may help - if only from the reduced leaves to drop.  Some just shed more than others.  My (6ft) black bamboo makes very little mess.

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
Bamboo nightmares
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 10:18 »
I have to confess I got rid of mine to a mate who wanted some and got some miscanthus and arundo donax instead.  Easier to keep and get to 9 and 12 foot respectively.  Just a thought.  :lol:

fletch

• Experienced Member
Bamboo nightmares
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:49 »
Unfortunately bamboos are just not made for pots (despite what it may say on the label!) and you will always have leaves dropping as it is a sign of stress.

If you can't plant them in the ground I would perhaps get rid and try something else like a tall grass.

As birdmancats has mentioned, Miscanthus can get quite tall and are better suited to pot life than bamboos.
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

jannie

• Experienced Member
Bamboo nightmares
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 16:15 »
hi  :) carefull planting it in the garden some of them are going to be tomorrow's knotweed ,I planted some 8yrs ago and it's mad  :twisted: i'm trying to keep it under control by cutting it down to the ground every spring and it seems to spend all its time growing rather than spreading,but i do get some good sticks out of it :) and have made some rather nice trellis for my peas out of it ,it grows to the height about 15 ft
looks good but it's  :evil: need a panda  :) jan

lincspoacher

Bamboo nightmares
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 17:56 »
Banboos will survive ok in pots, but above a certain size you need blooming big pots. It depends on what species it is, and whether its  trying to clump or spread. If its trying to expand and it cant, then its prolly getting stressed. Normally bamboos are pretty near impossible to kill, and will grow in anything.

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
Bamboo nightmares
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 18:37 »
thanks for the info maybe we will look into the miscanthus- I'm not sure what it is but I'll look it up. :)

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
Bamboo nightmares
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 12:17 »
it looks lush and green which is what I'd like but will it grow in pots?  all the pictures show it looking quite yellow around the bottom-  I looked it up and apparently there is a nursery in ashford,kent called the victorian nursery where you can buy it they also sell lots of   veggies  ready to go in the ground. I can't tell you the site but I just looked up miscanthus and it was there if you want to have a look.

xx
Bamboo

Started by Honeysuckle on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 20:54
by mrs bouquet
xx
Bamboo's

Started by lincspoacher on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 13:51
by Trillium
xx
Bamboo

Started by SmithyCottages on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 11:40
by SUTTY1
xx
Bamboo

Started by rcf100 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 21:42
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 34 queries.