Aloe Vera

• 12 Replies

Lee1978

Aloe Vera
« on: May 26, 2008, 21:18 »
I have a very large Aloe Vera plant that needs dividing, i was just wondering what is the best soil to pot them on with?

fletch

• Experienced Member
Aloe Vera
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 21:22 »
I usually pot or repot all my succulents in a mix of 60% multipurpose compost, 20% grit and 20% perlite or vermiculite (approx, I don't get too bent out of shape about measuring it).

It seems to work for me!
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

mashauk

Aloe Vera
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 16:57 »
I just put them in any compost I have handy, but mine are indestructible so far and keep having babies.

lincspoacher

Aloe Vera
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 20:44 »
Hes right, there almost impossible to kill and breed like rabbits, and will grow in almost any dodo. When they start to throw out plantlets, just break them off and poke them into any sort of growing medium,  they will go, even in a pot of sand.

The gooey stuff inside has skin healing properties.

spud

• Experienced Member
Aloe Vera
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 22:23 »
I've been planting mine in 50:50 sand and compost, but its not working out for me. Its either too wet or too dry, and they end up toppling over and breaking.

I'm interested in a proper medium to grow them in.

Cheers

:)
Best Regards,

spud

mashauk

Aloe Vera
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 22:54 »
I only water mine about once a month too, if that helps, it's on top of the fridge so is not in direct sunlight, if I water them more often then seem to die on me.

JudyAnn

Gooey stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 20:40 »
Yes, the next time you burn yourself split an aloe leaf lengthwise and put the juice liberally on your burn.

charley1980

Aloe Vera
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 20:45 »
Mine got to an absolutely huge size and it was just in some left over grow bag medium. Sadly, it got knocked over and it all went a bit wrong but managed to save part of it and it's had lots of babies again, so I'm having another go!

Think the main thing is to make sure that you have a good heavy pot with plenty of soil in it for the roots to  grow in. Also with my new one I'm leaving  a few of the babies in the pot and they are kind of supporting the main plant in the middle.

Definitely don't over water it!

lincspoacher

Aloe Vera
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 21:39 »
yes, thats the point, they will grow in desert dust so low in nutrients that even the microbes are anorexic, but it  has to have the consistency to hold the plant up. You know when it wants watering because it starts to shrivel, but if you water it again it'll pick straight up. Ive got aloe veras ive never watered that went to 18 inches tall and lived in a 15L pot.

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
Aloe Vera
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 23:21 »
I`ve got 2 plants, one is the main on, about 12" high and one is one of its offshoots.
During the warm spell a week or so ago, I put both outside on the patio for  about 3 days after potting them on, it rained on one of the days quite heavily aswel. I noticed that they had both changed colour....faded if you like, so I brought them back in, and they seem to have reverted back to their original colour. Is it natural for them to do this ??

Is cant be wrong to put them outside in the sunshine,  I would have thought it natural for them to be in direct sun, or is that they have not been used to direct sun since permanantly being indoors (conservatory)since I got them 4 years ago. I wanted to put them outside this year all summer if possible...if its sunny enough, but bring them in when raining.

Trillium

Aloe Vera
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 02:16 »
Being indoors all this time, the aloe would need to be hardened off like any other plant. Most glass have subtle tints, some have UV barriers, so an inside aloe plant would literally sunburn at first.

lincspoacher

Aloe Vera
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 20:02 »
Quote from: "lfcevans"
I`ve got 2 plants, one is the main on, about 12" high and one is one of its offshoots.
During the warm spell a week or so ago, I put both outside on the patio for  about 3 days after potting them on, it rained on one of the days quite heavily aswel. I noticed that they had both changed colour....faded if you like, so I brought them back in, and they seem to have reverted back to their original colour. Is it natural for them to do this ??

Is cant be wrong to put them outside in the sunshine,  I would have thought it natural for them to be in direct sun, or is that they have not been used to direct sun since permanantly being indoors (conservatory)since I got them 4 years ago. I wanted to put them outside this year all summer if possible...if its sunny enough, but bring them in when raining.

Remember these are desert plants primarily, and they definitely dont like being drowned. There also used to having practically no nutrients in the soil. But i agree if you kept them inside since day one you'd have to harden them up to bright harsh light by now

shaun

Aloe Vera
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 20:17 »
hello vera  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
aloe vera

Started by biffa53 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 18:12
by PennyS
xx
Aloe Vera plants

Started by Dantheman on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post December 15, 2014, 10:19
by Dantheman
xx
Aloe vera, advice on re-potting please.

Started by Clampit on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 14:15
by Clampit
xx
Aloe - goodbye?!

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 15:24
by Trillium

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 28 queries.