Unhappy :(

• 3 Replies

kizza

• Experienced Member
« on: April 28, 2008, 21:15 »
I recently hatched 9 out of 9 Ko-Shamo eggs under the broody. I left the Cockerel in with them and on day 2, One died. The mother was sat in the middle of the run incubating the brood when all of a sudden the cock tried mating her and when his foot slipped off he accidently crushed one of the newly hatched.  :cry:  I have now removed him into isolation quarters  :lol:     Around a week after this one of them drowned in the water bowl. This is my fault as i should have known they would have drowned in a pan of around 7/8 inches deep...2 down, 7 left. Around another week after that another one just completely vanished. Checked everywhere. There were no gaps in the fence, Not in the shed dead just completely vanished. A couple of guys on the plot says it may have been a Sparrow Hawk or even a Kestrel as the sparrow hawk has been taking a few of their pigeons. Today same as happened and another chick mysteriously vanished  :?:  I am devestsated that this has happened and that i am only now down to 5 out of 9. They were 3 weeks old yesterday and hopefully no more will die. They are perfectly healthy and thriving. I would just call it unlucky or inexperienced in this case  :(  Oh well as long as these 5 pull through thats all that matters  :)

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 21:53 »
what awful bad luck kizza, but 5 chicks is still wonderful.

have you been forgetting to show us their photo's?? :wink:

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 22:03 »
oh kizza what a shame! Interested in this breed actually -are the cockerels almost monogomous? how many hens does one cock need? Have seen some beautiful ones recently

kizza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 11:35 »
Well they are happy to be monogomous but a trio is perfectly acceptable. The only thing is that the hens mey tend to fight if three is more than a trio.

xx
Unhappy hen

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:45
by Wyandottie
xx
Unhappy hen?

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 16, 2017, 06:35
by ghost61
xx
Unhappy Moulting Hen

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 13:15
by sallylouise
xx
Unhappy hens

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 22:20
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 35 queries.