Walnut seedlings

• 8 Replies

Balaton Ben

Walnut seedlings
« on: April 26, 2008, 00:18 »
I was given a lot [large sackful] of walnuts from a mates tree last year and as I don't particularly like them I just dug them into my old potato bed last Autumn thinking it would give the soil a bit of body [silly me].  On digging over the plot I find I now have walnut seedlings The shells are split along the seams and one end has a long white root and the other a shoot.  I have transferred a couple to pots and they seem to be ok.  I wonder if I could start a business?  :)

Trillium

Walnut seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 05:04 »
There are people who'd like walnut trees on their property, although as very hardwood, they grow very slowly. However, there are 2 types of walnuts - ones that basically poison off all other trees around them and those that don't. Hard to tell what you've got unless your supplier can tell you the variety, so it's something you won't be able to tell you potential buyers who'd ask. If the people don't know to ask and have the space, then it would be fair game.

gobs

Walnut seedlings
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 08:28 »
Poisonous black walnut is not commonly grown in Hungary. But all walnut trees tend to be planted up separately in the yard, drive, etc. not in the veg garden, - and only one you need -, even if not toxic ( I think most are somewhat and ironically, the potato family seems to be very sensitive ), it will become a large tree with lots of roots and big shade. Should fruit after a few years, depending on variety, might be longer with seedlings though.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Alex 98

Walnut seedlings
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 19:23 »
I was given a gift Christmas 1998 ish?? bit hazy,,, 2 walnuts in a box with planting notes, nicely packaged, planted them.
One germinated and had been in a pot until last autumn.
Planted it on the plot in autumm , budding nicely, seems happy.
Beautiful leaves :)
They can grow huge
Hoping for loads of nuts
Mrs Smith loves them pickeled :tongue2:

PLANT WALNUTS

Alex 98
Alfie's Grandad

aquitaine

Walnut seedlings
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 10:44 »
Here, they make the most wonderful walnut wine...tastes like a rich sherry...they harvest the walnuts whilst the shells are still green and soft...has to be done on St Alselm's day, otherwise it's bad luck!!!
I'll try & wangle the recipe off my landlady.

She also makes orange wine which is like nectar from the gods....rose wine (which we buy at 60 centimes(40p) a litre), eau de vie, vanilla & oranges...
There's a lot to be said for country life..

We are a Brummie & a Black country mon...retired here
Lorna

gobs

Walnut seedlings
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 18:19 »
Nice. 8)

Pickled green walnuts are also rather good, well I like them raw, too, in fact prefer them green rather than ripe. :)

weeeed

Walnut seedlings
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 22:05 »
My parents had a walnut tree. One type of walnut is picked when the husks are still green and tastes absolutely yummy. This is the one you buy around Christmas time. The other that I know of is the type which is more bitter I think this is the one which you pickle. I love the pickled ones too. Perhaps we should have a go at growing one from seed and see who does the best :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

gobs

Walnut seedlings
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 10:20 »
Except for that I have no room for them. :)

Trillium

Walnut seedlings
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 15:37 »
...and they don't grow particularly fast either.

xx
Walnut tree

Started by Kym503 on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post February 22, 2012, 07:13
by Rangerkris
xx
problem with walnut tree

Started by philskin on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 19:01
by Alex 98
xx
Lupin seedlings

Started by jonewer on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 14:46
by corco2000
xx
Cosmos seedlings

Started by Adamjesney on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2016, 15:47
by Stree

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 28 queries.