Too much Alkali

• 4 Replies

garddwr bach

Too much Alkali
« on: March 10, 2008, 12:19 »
Yesterday I tested my plot (having bought a ph kit). Was surprised to find that parts tested 9 and most of it was 7–8. What do members suggest I can do. I realise this is way too high!

I have 3 rows of strawberries already and have planted red/black currants and added raspberries to my existing ones? Was planning to sow potatoes and french beans and maybe onions.

My first post was without a subject so I'm re-posting!!!! Sorry
Try to be organic but will use black fly killer and a few slug pellets if desperate.

noshed

Too much Alkali
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 13:35 »
Did you use distilled water for the test? Tap water could give you duff results (I know mine did).
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

GreenOwl

Too much Alkali
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 14:29 »
Hi, my soil pH is 8-9.  I make as much garden compost as I can (and add it obviously), shred my Christmas tree and add that as a mulch.  Other than that I don't worry about it.  I wouldn't try and grow blueberries as they like an acid soil and I know my raspberry canes won't last as long as on a more neutral soil but I grow pretty well anything.  Potatoes prefer the acid side of neutral but I grow them.  Possibly some things don't grow as well on a heavily alkaline soil but I haven't noticed any major problems due the pH.

I believe there is stuff you can add to acidify the soil but if you're substructure is alkaline its is probably only a temporary measure anyway.  Maybe someone else can advise you on what you can use.

gobs

Too much Alkali
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 18:58 »
Pretty well covered really, only can add, that most gardens will be a bit patchy and most plants like it on the alkaline side. Ph 7 is just ideal for Brassica crops. Only things liking it slightly acidic, is soft fruit, as mentioned, manure for them thickly and for your potatoes. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Stripey_cat

Too much Alkali
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 14:46 »
7 is neutral, so plant your raspberries there, and your potatoes if you're bothered by scab.  For the rest, any organic matter should help lower the pH: bark chipping mulches are fairly cheap (especially if you offer to shred neighbours' prunings to save them carting them away), leaf-mould if you've got deciduous trees (again, offer to rake lawns in exchange for the leaves, and stick them in a bin for 18 months), plus stable manure and compost that you might need to buy in.

Are you on chalk or limestone, perchance?  They drain freely (apart from chalk/clay marls), so you want to add lots of organic matter to help retain water anyway.

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 27 queries.