Bolting

• 2 Replies

TansyCobweb

Bolting
« on: June 25, 2023, 18:07 »
Hi. I hope I have posted this in the right place.  If not please feel free to move it. This year we planted onions, turnips and beetroots (among other things)
Of necessity the turnips and beetroots have been planted in a slightly raised bed ( plastic with both a plastic and a mesh cover) in compost. The bed is on concrete but well deep enough for beets and turnips.The onions were planted in the ground last autumn if I remember rightly.
They have all bolted dreadfully.
Our carrots are a good few weeks old and are not even remotely carrots ( as we found out today when thinning them)
Is this all to do with being very cold ( North Wales) until recently, then suddenly this hot spell or something we have done?
The only thing that looks respectable is our peas!
Any suggestions or advice very welcome
Thank you

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bolting
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 18:53 »
Is this all to do with being very cold ( North Wales) until recently, then suddenly this hot spell

Yes almost certainly. It is not too late to start again.   I usually sow beetroot and turnip around this time of year under a mesh cover.  They are a follow on crop for me and this year will go under a tunnel where I have had an early crop of spinach and some shallots.  They almost always do well for me here in the south east, but if you have a plastic cover for the bed in case the autumn goes cold, you should stand a decent chance of getting a result  :)

TansyCobweb

Re: Bolting
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 19:40 »
Thank you :-)

xx
Bolting what does this mean

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 22:29
by sclarke624
xx
Bolting

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 15:08
by Lynne
xx
Everything is bolting!

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 10:29
by senrab_nhoj
xx
Everything bolting :-(

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 20:36
by radiohead

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 38 queries.