Bread the stuff of life

• 527 Replies

grendel

Re: Bread the stuff of life
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2015, 19:07 »
we can get yeast at sainsburys by asking at the bread counter, or morrisons have it on the shelf next to the butter. we buy a whole lot and freeze it, then use it from frozen. we have successfully used frozen yeast 6 months after it was frozen.
I tried some in the bread machine with french bread flour (lower gluten) on the french bread setting (3 hours 50 mins) and had a nice loaf as a result, I still have to try an overnight rise in the fridge for proper french bread.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

chrissie B

« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2015, 21:15 »
Thanks for the info i will freeze it did you pay in sainburys grendel , it was only 20p so not a lotta cash there , i will be doing some more tomorrow i just love making the bread .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

compostqueen

« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2015, 22:06 »
I like the overnight sponge and or in the fridge overnight. It does improve the flavour. 

I made some pizza bases and left em to rise in the fridge. They were opening the door before long!  :D

The organic Swedish fresh yeast is lively. I buy it, divvy it up into 10 gms and freeze it
Tesco will sell me a bit sometimes, depending on who is on, but they can be a bit sniffy about it. Not sure why

That oatmeal bread sounds lovely. I'll have a go at that

snowdrops

« Reply #198 on: May 16, 2015, 08:19 »
I like the overnight sponge and or in the fridge overnight. It does improve the flavour. 

I made some pizza bases and left em to rise in the fridge. They were opening the door before long!  :D

The organic Swedish fresh yeast is lively. I buy it, divvy it up into 10 gms and freeze it
Tesco will sell me a bit sometimes, depending on who is on, but they can be a bit sniffy about it. Not sure why

That oatmeal bread sounds lovely. I'll have a go at that

Was that me for the oatmeal bread CQ? I use the Hugh fearnley wot sit recipe for sour dough, mix,starter,flour & water overnight, then add more flour- that's when I added the granary type flour,salt & oil, set to prove until double,knock back, kneed lightly, I then put in 2lb loaf tin & prove overnight,bake first thing next morning, ready for lunch,no temptation to have a slice or 2 before I go to bed. Which is what happens if i end up baking it on the same day,it ends up going in the oven about 8/9 pm  :wacko:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2015, 08:41 »
Oatmeal Bread
400ml. Strong white flour
100g. oatmeal (Ordinary porridge oats will do)
30g. Unsalted Butter
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Dried yeast
3 tsp. Honey
300ml. water

1. Place flour, oats, salt, and yeast in a bowl, and mix.
2.Add honey and butter, softened.
3.Knead for 10 mins. ( I use mixer with dough hook for 5 mins.)
4. Leave to rise until doubled in size.
5. Knock back, and knead for a few minutes.
6. Shape loaf, and place in 2lb. loaf tin.
7. Prove for 1 - 2 hrs.
8. bake for 30mins. @ 200 deg. c.
9. remove from tin, and bake for a further 5mins.

I made this bread today and it is lovely bread - I'll have to make some more for the weekend  :D
This is my everyday bread recipe now ;

grendel

« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2015, 21:23 »
yes I paid in sainsburys, and in morrisons, but its not expensive.
Grendel

chrissie B

« Reply #201 on: May 16, 2015, 23:30 »
I think some will be thinking if your baking your own stuff then your not buying theirs, my sons got the bug now hes doing the wrights pks to start off , ive passed on a few tricks ive picked up on here.
id rather pay for my yeast than keep asking for it all the time , it was only 20p for 50g.
oatmeal bread sounds nice .
chrissie b .

compostqueen

« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2015, 11:51 »
It's only 20 p in Tesco but they keep saying they've got none. I wonder if they just can't be bothered to cut it up and pack it when you go in and ask.

So. I;m buying the fresh organic stuff when I can get it

Sourdough!  My sourdoughs are called Chas and Dave (named by my daft son)  :)  Mine are the Dan Leppard ones Snowy

snowdrops

« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2015, 14:40 »
Ooh I've only got 1 & he's called John boy :lol:. Why've you got 2?

hamstergbert

« Reply #204 on: May 17, 2015, 16:44 »
At Hamstergbert Towers Sid the Sourdough picked up some sort of additional wild yeast that resulted in him turning very unpleasant to smell and producing rather unpleasant sourdough bread at the end of it.

He was a couple of years old but euthanasia was the only sensible choice so I put him down.

(I put him down the loo, actually).

I have't the enthusaism to start another from scratch so I am going to give up sourdough for now and just stick with standard breads.

Incidentally I did the oatmeal bread last night using Mornflake ground oats rather than porage style rolled oats and it was wonderful even if for some reason both provings were very fast (like a rattlesnake on reheat) but the end result is wonderful so I may like MoS make the recipe my default 'standard' bread - thanks oldgrunge!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2015, 02:48 »
I do oatmeal too, but I don't use honey as I prefer my bread savoury (never use sugar in bread) Might try a fruity oat bread using the honey though....once we have harvested the honey.

chrissie B

« Reply #206 on: May 18, 2015, 09:15 »
Sounds like tesco can't  be bothered compostqueen whoever  heard of a bakery without yeast , unless their stuff is shipped in ready made .
chrissie b

compostqueen

« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2015, 21:07 »
They have great slabs of yeast but I think they can't be ar*ed to cut you a bit off  :(
Oh well stuff em  :D

I like to use honey in bread. It makes fabbo crumbs should there be any left!  Panko breadcrumbs are just honey bread (I believe)

I like walnut, orange and fig spelt loaf. It's a recipe on the side of the bread bag  :tongue2:

I had a cheese bread on my plot yesterday, buttered, with a slab of ham in the middle. Feet up on the rail and chomp  :D

I have a rye sourdough starter Snowy  :)  As well as an ordinary un

chrissie B

« Reply #208 on: June 01, 2015, 18:30 »
Out of my big book i did a huge cheese and onion tin loaf looked great but wasent  easy to cut and the weight of the cheese pulled the centre down , it did look like the picture so some small consolation there.it did taste good and was lovley with smoked ham .
chrissie b

compostqueen

« Reply #209 on: June 01, 2015, 21:13 »
Yes I bet :D

I look forward to my blackcurrant harvest so i can make jam to go on my home made white sandwich loaf.  A thing of beauty indeed 😊
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 21:19 by compostqueen »

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 50 queries.