Fertilised v Non Fertilised

• 8 Replies

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
Fertilised v Non Fertilised
« on: April 30, 2013, 16:36 »
Evening all,

Has anyone ever done an experiment with picture results of fertilising half a row of crops, and not the other half, or such like, to see what a difference it makes.

I'd be very interested to see, as someone was saying on youtube that they got about 60 courgettes of one plant with daily feeds and i've never had more than about 8 not feeding them.

When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

Totty

Re: Fertilised v Non Fertilised
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 17:31 »
The only way crops would be poorer with fertiliser is if it was over used. Basic chemicals are needed for good growth. Whether organic or not fertilisers are required over a length of time for crops to grow well.

Totty

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 18:00 »
60 off one plant would be doing well - but I usually have 2 plants, and pick 1 or 2 courgettes most days once they get going.
They are fed weekly here, when I feed the tomatoes  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 18:15 »
I would guess that to get far better than average yields from any crop requires perfect growing conditions as well as the optimum supply of nutrients - I suspect the Youtube grower wasn't just throwing fertiliser at the plants, and probably was not growing them in the outdoor conditions we've had in most of the UK for the past couple of summers!  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mark's Sussex Allotment

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 18:55 »
I think they were in poly tunnel and variety was defender from memory.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 20:56 »
A lot might depend on the soil - I have heavy clay so once I've dug in compost and / or manure and a scattering of Growmore for good measure, then most crops are productive until the end of their season.  I'd never dream of a weekly feed on courgettes because once they start producing, they don't stop until the first frost (and then there's a sigh of relief)

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 22:32 »
Evening all,

Has anyone ever done an experiment with picture results of fertilising half a row of crops, and not the other half, or such like, to see what a difference it makes.

I'd be very interested to see, as someone was saying on youtube that they got about 60 courgettes of one plant with daily feeds and i've never had more than about 8 not feeding them.

Thousands of scientific experiments have been done over the years to show the effects of various fertilizers, both chemical and organic. It may well be possible to get 60 courgettes from one plant but then it's possible to grow carrots 4 feet long and half ton pumpkins. As JayG says, most of us have to cope with average conditions and British summers!

Mark's Sussex Allotment

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 20:19 »
I've obviously been doing something wrong all this time then, as I usually only get about 5-7.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 22:42 »
I only use weed tea on courgettes (having planted them in well manured soil).  I find, if the weather conditions are right, that a courgette appears every 3 days or so. 

The varieties I generally plant tri-color, green bush, black beauty, defender and parador,  I am on the South Coast by the way and it can be much milder than other areas of the UK.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 22:46 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 30 queries.