Caulies OK or not?

• 6 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Caulies OK or not?
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:15 »
I spent ages hardening these off, but ooohhhh nooooooo - got to the plot today to find my precious caulies looking decidedly purple  :(

Are they going to be OK?  I have some other plants coming on, so could replace.  Just don't want to waste the space if they are never going to recover  :unsure:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Caulies OK or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 14:11 »
My brassicas have gone like that and have been fine.
I just take the less healthy leaves of and give a high nitrogen foliar feed designed for greens - it's made by Vitax. :) 

Ivor Backache

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 14:32 »
I don't understand why you needed to 'harden' them off. Brassicas are quite sturdy. As soon as they have germinated and the main leaves are growing I transplant them into modules and put them outside.

Your plants are very stressed, the lower leaves have already died and others are following. One thing I have always understood with cauliflowers is not to do anything that stalls their growth.

Give them a good nitrogen feed and keep the ground moist. You will get cauliflowers but I suspect they will be no bigger than cricket balls.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 14:50 »
These are plants started very early in the unheated greenhouse, so I hardened them off as they made the transition from indoors to outdoors.  They have only been planted out for a couple of weeks and got a nitrogen feed as they went in.

It was more a question of whether they have been stressed so much they won't recover.  As I said I have more plants, so shan't waste the space if the answer is yes  :)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 17:33 »
The short answer is yes. No point persevering with this plant if you have better ones.

Another observation from the photo: If all the plants have a long stem then plant them deeper. That will stop the cauliflower rocking in the wind and fracturing the stem. (or earth them up)

Totty

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 17:42 »
What is the variety? I have some graffiti caulis that look the same colour as the top leaves on yours, ie- purpleish. I know for a fact there is plenty of nitrogen in the soil. Plant them deeper in future though. Remember the lower leaves will always die off as the plant grows, and your plants are quite well developed.

Totty

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 17:55 »
They are Snowball Totty and the follow on plants (yeah yeah New Shoot - insurance plants you mean  ::)) are the same.

They were green when they went in and planted up to the first set of leaves, but I can earth them up no probs if it is worth saving them.  We have had mad weather since they went in  ::)  Sunny 20 degree days, cold days, frosts, hail, you name it  ::)  Knew this was all going too well.  They were beautiful - even got compliments from the allotment old boys when they went in ....... sob

Oh well.  If the consensus is 'ave em out, I at least have the second lot  :)

xx
Tall caulies

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2014, 17:44
by tosca100
xx
Caulies bolting.. Why?

Started by Rhys on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2017, 17:46
by Rhys

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 35 queries.