URGENT: Strawberry jam wonīt īsetī

• 4 Replies

Oliveview

URGENT: Strawberry jam wonīt īsetī
« on: April 04, 2013, 20:39 »
I am making strawberry jam to sell at the refuge sale (dog refuge) I was given 3kg of strawberries today but was only able to use just over 2kg as the rest had got squashed and were too bruised.  I put in equal amounts of sugar to fruit and the juice of 2 large lemons, the lemons were quite juicy. 
I have the jam cooking now, using a jam thermometer to check the temperature.  It says it has reached ījamī on the thermometer, but the jam is still not setting, it is still runny when I put a little on the plate to test for setting point.
I know strawberries are a whatsit to make jam with from experience!  If it were just for us at home it would not matter, but my jam making reputation is at stake here :ohmy:

Pamela 

Kleftiwallah

Re: URGENT: Strawberry jam wonīt īsetī
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 20:50 »
More lemon juice (or add the juice from a cooking apple or two).  It is possible to cook the jam for too long as well!

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 14:09 »
Strawberry can be a difficult one.
If I were you I would use 4oz of grated cooking apple to each 1 lb of fruit.  Cook it until it is mushy and add it to the strawberries and bring back to the boil. That may rescue it.

I have tried many different ways with strawberry. The pectin sugar and Certo liquid pectin always works. I have tried the pectin powder which some people like but I can't get on with it. It seems too artificial, powdery and gummy.

i have stopped using commercially manufactured pectin  as I prefer not to have sulphides in  my preserves.

I have found with any low pectin fruit that if you add 4oz of grated cooking apple to each pound of fruit you get  a good set but without loosing the flavour of the fruit you are useing.

The other way with strawberries is to cook the fruit with the  lemon juice low, long and slow to extract what pectin there is before adding the sugar.

Hope you  rescued the jam Oliveview.

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 16:11 »
The one apple we cannot get in Spain is a good old fashioned cooking apple, only eating apple's.. 
I cooked it until the jam thermometer was at the correct temperature, the jam was still a bit on the soft side, never mind! It tastes good, just a bit runny!

Many thanks for the replies
Pamela

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 16:50 »
Glad it turned out OK. It is the taste that is the important part isn't it.  Some people cook their jam too solid sometimes; jam needs a little bit of give, it is more unctuous and sexy that way. ;) ;)

You could try the apple trick with other apples; just make sure that you cook them until they are very soft before you add them too the strawberries or other low pectin fruit.

Another way although takes a bit more faffing is to store your apple peelings and cores in the freezer until you have a goodly bag full then simmer them in a little water and strain through a jelly bag, store it in the freezer in 1/4 pint containers and add that to help with the setting.

Is it warm where you are Oliveview? The weather here is foul and I just can't get warm :(

xx
urgent help needed please

Started by sachkrimbo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 22:15
by sunshineband
xx
Drying courgettes - urgent question

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 17:54
by New shoot
xx
Rhubarb syrup- urgent recipe ideas needed today!

Started by Etherelda on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 13:42
by Etherelda
xx
Strawberry Jam Again - sorry!

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 09:32
by Debz

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 28 queries.