new allotment

• 6 Replies

linda graham

new allotment
« on: January 09, 2015, 20:37 »
Hello can anyone give me any advice ?
I have just got myself a plot which is heavily overgrown with weeds, brambels and stuff, which i have cut down.
the plot is very waterlogged with standing water, and have been told the soil is very poor.
what to do next? i would like advice on low maintenance as i work full time but yet want to grow my own veg.
any helpfull advice would be welcome.

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Re: new allotment
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 21:09 »
Apologies for the brief reply - I'm just about closing down for the night!

Get a brushcutter and clear the plot and lay down some weed suppressant material.

If the soil is poor, plan for some raised beds where you can create the soil conditions you want. This helps with rotation as well.

The first part is daunting so get some friends in if you can or pace yourself. It's great fun and way better than paying gym fees plus you get to meet some great people on your lotty.

Good luck and well done!
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 22:01 »
I agree with what Kevin has suggested - try to raise the level of the soil with raised beds after getting rid of the weeds (don't try to grow on top of the weed membrane or you'll have shallow roots).

If the soil is sticking to your boots then best to keep off - you'll damage the soil structure and it won't be fun.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 23:21 »
You may have to dig the brambles out or they will keep coming back.

I sympathise. My plot is also waterlogged at the moment and I won't be able to do anything till about March/April. It does mean there is plenty of time to plan what to do and research best prices for things. I would also get it covered with thick plastic, as others have said.

You might want to consider putting drainage ditches in along the side, or a pond at one corner to drain some of  the water out.

I've made raised beds by digging a couple of inches off the paths and throwing the soil on the beds, and then incorporating huge amounts of rotted manure/leaves/anything I could get my hands on into the soil. The double-digging and the soil improver has helped the raised beds hugely.

Don't worry too much about the soil being poor, there are a few ways around it - like just improving the bits you are planting, as you plant or sow. And I would check first whether it actually is, by growing something. I was told my soil was poor when I started, and it's not. It was just shaded by an enormous hedge, which I cut back to a reasonable height.

Good luck with it - remember to post some pics, we love pics on here!  :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 23:22 by surbie100 »

linda graham

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 14:01 »
Thanks to everyone who has given me some hints and tips they are very welcome. :D

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 18:13 »
Hi I would just remove all weeds, then dig a little section then try planting something like potatoes in March.

You cant say the soil is poor until you have tried using it, if you have only just got the allotment and its over grown, and not been used for a while the soil will have been rested, all soil needs a break now and again from planting

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 07:30 »
Some of us keep diaries on here with photographs etc. you also create a comments thread so you can get feedback for your peers. My original diary starting from the day I got my allotment 3 years ago is here

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=100234.0

I spent quite a lot of the winter months clearing the chest high weeds, drying and burning and it's taken time to clear and create an infrastructure such that I don't have to clear a whole plot of weeds at the start of every year like my neighbours do.  Yes it's taking time to get there, two half beds to go this year and I'm done, but it's now low maintenance and I can concentrate on growing rather than clearing and infrastructure works.

With regards to covering with plastic make sure it's black and not see through like my new neighbour did, when I informed him he had a nice flat cloche and was going to encourage the weed to grow rather than kill them by depriving them of light he was surprised  :lol:   

xx
allotment

Started by dustcartkev on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 16:08
by TerryB
xx
New Allotment

Started by elle.scanlon on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 01:45
by Trillium
xx
new allotment

Started by perdycat on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 13:06
by perdycat
xx
My New Allotment!!

Started by MightyScouse on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 21:46
by MightyScouse

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 39 queries.