whitefly !!!!!

• 23 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: whitefly !!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 07:48 »
I've got loads of whitefly in my brassica cage and have put those awful yellow sticky sheets up to trap them.  Don't know if it makes any difference - there are plenty stuck to the yellow tape but plenty stuck to the underside of my cabbages too!  :lol:

Think I'll try some companion planting next season and take a leaf (sorry for the pun) or two from you lovely people on here.  :happy:

My sticky traps are coverd in whitefly ... and so are the sprouts and PSB  :lol:   and I got my hair stuck to one too -- lethal things those traps   :tongue2: :tongue2:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 18:51 »
I've got loads of whitefly in my brassica cage and have put those awful yellow sticky sheets up to trap them.  Don't know if it makes any difference - there are plenty stuck to the yellow tape but plenty stuck to the underside of my cabbages too!  :lol:

Think I'll try some companion planting next season and take a leaf (sorry for the pun) or two from you lovely people on here.  :happy:

My sticky traps are coverd in whitefly ... and so are the sprouts and PSB  :lol:   and I got my hair stuck to one too -- lethal things those traps   :tongue2: :tongue2:

Know what you mean! Its bad enough when your face gets stuck with all those insects still on it.........eeeeew!  :wub:

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 19:10 by Lady Rosemary »
~Remember What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.~

Ghost

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 14:23 »
I've gave up the allotment because I have a house with a bigger garden now. I'm growing brassicas and they're covered in whitefly which means I have them flying all over the garden. Do gardens normally have alot of white fly flying about or is it just because I've introduced the brassicas to it? Sorry if that's a daft question it's just I've never really had a garden before. I'll consider not bothering with brassicas next year because I hate sitting in my garden and seeing white fly everywhere.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 14:29 »
It's a very bad year for whitefly. next year you might not have any/so many ;)

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 07:41 »
I hope its much better next year too Mum.  I've learned so much from reading posts on here, I'm really looking forward to next years planting already!  :lol:

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 15:20 »
I've found that the marigolds do a good job on low growing brassicas but not as effective on sprouts, kale and PSB. Doesn't both me that much on the sprouts and PSB, but does put me off the kale, which I love. So this year growing the kale under a fine net curtain.
Only problem with this is the kale is growing faster, already over 3 ft high. 

lordthanatos

• 1st Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 15:43 »
is the sticky tape a risk to beneficial insects as i was thinking of using these and also doing some marigolds next year ?

thanks

Elcie

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 16:06 »
just remember to keep your mouth shut tight when you wander into your brassica bed and rustle a few leaves.......

I have thought of this post everytime I move the brassica leaves!  Thank you  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 08:17 »
So DD, 300 onions :ohmy:

What are you going to do with them all, make onion soup, onion gravy, onion sauce, battered onion rings, cheese and onion sarnies, cheese and onion flan, I could go on forever :D

I don't count mine, probably have about 50 or so - they are the mammoths reds and whites - trying to see how big they grow - really big at the moment. 

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away.

I dare say a few will make it to coffee mornings! I've got that many as this year I tried onions from seed again, after having no success in the past. I hedged my bets and grew sets as a back up.

Both lots have produced - not just medium sized onions - but large ones, bigger than any you'd get in supermarkets, so onions with everything, as you say.

Sorry for the divergence!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
whitefly

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2014, 10:08
by moose
xx
Whitefly

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 10:12
by surbie100
xx
whitefly

Started by Liz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2006, 13:56
by Liz
xx
Whitefly

Started by monabrew on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 28, 2011, 21:26
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 40 queries.