pink fir apple

• 11 Replies

ACatCalledElvis

pink fir apple
« on: July 25, 2007, 18:45 »
rooting round my main spud crop the other day - just checking its ok - not rotting etc - and came across a lovely big pink fir apple - took the chip challenge and ate the most beautiful chip/spud ever!!!

however - I planted all my spuds on april 1st - these are late mains - what's gone wrong? should  dig my mains now?? the haulms are declinig but not gone.......anyone else having pre-maincrop stress?
Be Reasonable Demand the Impossible

Organic as much as my plot neighbours allow

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
pink fir apple
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 19:27 »
I took the foliage off my Pink Fir Apple today (blight).  They were planted early March.

We harvested a few last week and just boiled them - I'd never tasted them before - and they were delicious.

I'll lift the others in a couple of weeks for storage.
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

Spon

pink fir apple
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 21:52 »
I sowed Pink Fir Apple on 24th March and harvested the first root on 1st July.
I have never grown this variety before and was delighted by the flavour. The superb crop per root was a suprise.

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
pink fir apple
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 23:42 »
I grew them years ago and the flavour was really good. It was simply the awkward shapes and potatoes resembling phallic symbols that put me off. :oops:
Ah well ! There is always next year !

mixdiver

pink fir apple
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 08:25 »
Mine have been fantastic - wish I had planted more, only planted 2Kg of seeds, will be putting many more in next year.
When you compare home grown with shop bought potatoes there is no contest  mine are ambrosia whilst shop examples are more like eating cardboard! Make your own mind up

MD
Digging away to keep the weight down!

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
pink fir apple
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 08:33 »
I got my seed from WhiskyGolf this year, and certainly this was a trouble free crop.  Planted  at the same time as Home Guard and Saxon potatoes, but submitting to blight some 2 weeks later than the other varieties.

I understand potatoes for seed need to be grown at above 500' or something as certain virsuses don't reach that high? So I assume it would be unwise to store any of these for seed next year.

WG are you doing seed again next year?

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
pink fir apple
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:08 »
I got my Pink firs from good old WG also, blooming great they are... for various reasons I had to plant them VERY late so still hoping they come out ok later in the year. have 7 rows x 7 meters :D

diggerjoe

pink fir apple
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 13:37 »
Good to hear pink fir apple doing well i put in 6 varieties this year and its only the pinks that i reckon I'll get some off. I did put mine in late. Just to say as I am writing this in the ofice ( I work at canal basin) it is raining so hard you cannot see across canal!!! Where was I? Spuds i think most of the others have rotted but King Edwards have a fair bit of foilage. I look forward to my fir apple chips :D

WG.

pink fir apple
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 16:28 »
Quote from: "Salkeela"
WG are you doing seed again next year?

Quote from: "Sadgit"
I got my Pink firs from good old WG also, blooming great they are... for various reasons I had to plant them VERY late

Less of the old please

Nice to hear from satisfied customers.  Hopefully I will have Pink Fir seed potatoes this year - rather depends on getting sufficient advance orders to justify buying a tonne from my supplier (I buy fresh accredited seed each year).  As per last year, I sell as many as I can for cash & then barter / trade any that are left over.  Please see http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4658

WG.

pink fir apple
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 16:59 »
Quote from: "Beanzie"
It was simply the awkward shapes and potatoes resembling phallic symbols that put me off.
Can we assume that you don't eat courgette, marrow, cucumber, carrot, parsnip, sweet corn, banana, etc etc  :wink:  :wink:

Annie

pink fir apple
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 17:22 »
These are my favotite potatoes and have not so far succumbed to blight..fingers crossed.

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
pink fir apple
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 02:24 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "Beanzie"
It was simply the awkward shapes and potatoes resembling phallic symbols that put me off.
Can we assume that you don't eat courgette, marrow, cucumber, carrot, parsnip, sweet corn, banana, etc etc  :wink:  :wink:

At least with the veg you list you have to use a bit of imagination. Some of the Fir Apples were perfectly formed if you know what I mean  :wink:

xx
Pink Fir Apple not up yet

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 22:12
by Nobbie
xx
Pink fir apple

Started by Cake Lady on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 00:18
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Pink Fir Apple

Started by Lincolnshire Floyd on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 14:04
by Lincolnshire Floyd
xx
'Pink Fir Apple'

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 22, 2021, 09:58
by JayG

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 36 queries.